Author Topic: New symptom, ear and side pain on AN side  (Read 11526 times)

LisaP

New symptom, ear and side pain on AN side
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:59:28 pm »
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever experienced pain, in their ear or on the side of your head where your AN is on?  I have for the past two months.  The pain is more of a throbbing, it is tolerable but noticeable.

I had a physical last week due to insurance purposes so that I could get another referral to go to Boston for another MRI.  My next MRI is not due until Feb of 2010, but due to this new symptom, I thought it would be good to move it up.  Soooo I then called Dr. McKenna's office in Boston and they agreed to move the MRI up (probably in Oct or Nov) but they stated that the new "pain" that I am having is not related to my AN!!!    I can't believe that, so my question is, has anyone ever experience any kind of pain before receiving treatment? 

thanks

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

jerseyboy

Re: New symptom, ear and side pain on AN side
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:52:18 pm »
LisaP,
That sounds like the pain I've been experiencing.  See my recent post under "Symptoms".  I also plan on getting my next MRI done sooner than the planned six month interval.  See the replies to my post.  This may not be all that uncommon.
Jeff 
Watch and wait since May 2009.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:22:48 pm »
Hey Lisa!  BTW, BoSox sweep this past weekend! w00t! :)

I never had any pain before my treatment (CK) so to answer your question... for me... no.

will see how others respond to this question as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

another NY postie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »
I too have experienced similiar pain...,mostly in front of ear, sometimes in back and above.  I have been thinking it is due from clenching my teeth/TMJ as this is so stressful.  Often, it just feels like a burning sensation right in the front of ear but I have also had pain in the ear itself.  I had mention it to several dr. because I was wondering if it was facial nerve but no  one seemed to think that so this is just my own conclusion.
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:34:09 pm »
Lisa ~

FWIW:  Prior to my AN diagnosis, I experienced intermittent, stabbing pain at what I later learned was the site of the tumor.  These were intense but infrequent and disappeared following my AN removal surgery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

foodsmarts

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:52:22 pm »
Hi. I had sharp pains along the jaw on the AN side on and off for a couple of months. They stopped after I was on a round of steroids prescribed because of sudden hearing loss. Sorry to hear you've been experiencing pain for so long.

Helen
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:34 pm »
Hey, Lisa!  I had odd pains on my AN side for years prior to diagnosis.  Sometimes the ear, sometimes the head.  Just prior to being diagnosed, I had jaw and tooth pain.  One of the docs I consulted after diagnosis also said no correlation to the AN...I found that very hard to believe.  That pain has gone since surgery...hmmm, not AN related, huh...think I beg to differ ;)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »
I don`t have any pain. Just tinnitius which I`ve had for 30 years. I guess that could be called a pain. You do get used to it and find ways to make it much more bareable. ( neuromonics )  etc.  Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:21 pm »
Hi Lisa,

I had throbbing pain that would wake me up for about two years. I went back and forth to my GP and he considered it part of a sinus issue. The pain was worse than having an ear infection. Most recently, I have not been experiencing the pain to the same severity, but I do  continue to have pain inside my ear and behind my ear. The Neuro did not think it was related to the AN either. Go figure!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:05 pm »
LisaP:

I ocassionally had a sharp piercing pain right behind my AN ear. I didn't pay much attention to it. It disappeared after my surery.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

LisaP

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 05:24:32 am »
Thanks to all that responded,

When Dr. McKenna's office told me that the pain was unrelated, I thought to my self NO WAY, they are wrong.  I am soooooo glad that I have you all and this forum due to now I know that this is just not in my head (get it) :P.  Anyways my MRI is being moved up, still waiting to hear from Boston.  I am finding that each MRI that I have is tougher to get through, I feel anxious and it feels like the magnets from the MRI are pulling the AN out of my head.  My regular doctor has prescribe just one ativan for the procedure.  During my last MRI if it was not for holding on to my brothers picture I don't know how I would have gotten through it.

Thanks again and of course I also continue to have headaches, dizziness, ear ringing and balance issues oh well!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:34 am »
Ear pain is one of my symptoms, throbbing, deep ache in my ear, pressure and horrible tinnitis (constant) I  know it is from the AN because the other ear is perfect.  There are times to that I get sharp pains for a few seconds that almost take me to my knees but luckily they go away as quickly as they came, now if those ever lasted they would be taking me to the ER kicking and screaming because the pain is intense.  So I believe your pain is your AN, you know your body best.  Have you thought about another opinion? Have you sent your case out to House?
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

sardeans

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:09 am »
Lisa,

I hope your pain and other symptoms subsides.  My information may not be useful yet.  I'm scheduled for MRI tomorrow to "rule out" ;) AN (therefore, we'll know within a week if my symptoms are analogous to yours or not).  However, the pain you describe and that of others in this post are very similar to pain I've been experiencing for about 3-4 months now.  It is an intermittent throbbing pain that feels like I'm being poked with a dull pointy object.  It usually feels like it's deep inside my ear, but often originates above, below and behind it.  Sometimes it hurts around the temple/right side of head and seldom I feel it in my upper cheek.  It is not too bad and is certainly tolerable, but at times can be intense.  It usually lasts for 10-15 seconds at a time, but will throb several times a day (or several times an hour) depending on the day. 

I've done a ton of research in the spirit of understanding the symptoms of AN and questioning whether I could have one or not.  I've read countless patient stories and this type of pain does not seem uncommon at all, however it's usually not listed as a classic symptom.  When pain/headache is given as a symptom, then it's usually in the context of a very large tumor that is pressing on the brainstem.  However, based on my anecdotal readings, this type of pain seems not uncommon for small/medium sized tumors.  It's not surprising that many doctors dismiss as unrelated.

Just as FYI, my other symptoms include: unilateral sensorneural hearing loss (low frequency) of 20-25%, constant hitched ringing tinnitus, pulsating swooshing tinnitus, occasional lightheadedness or mild off-balance (never spinning vertigo or classic dizziness).  Perhaps related or not, but occasional eyeball twitching (once a week?) where everything darts back and forth very fast (most noticeable when reading for on computer) that lasts for about 15-20 seconds.  I should know within a week.

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:30:45 am »

I am finding that each MRI that I have is tougher to get through, I feel anxious and it feels like the magnets from the MRI are pulling the AN out of my head.  My regular doctor has prescribe just one ativan for the procedure.  During my last MRI if it was not for holding on to my brothers picture I don't know how I would have gotten through it.

LisaP ;D

Lisa, you're not alone on that!  There are numerous of us here who need "a little something" to get us through the MRI's - me, I'm partial to Valium (you know I throw that term around like I've used them for years  ::) never had one til a year ago - but they do the trick) 

Keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

LisaP

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 05:25:33 am »
Cindy,

Thanks for the response, the stongest med that I take daily is tylenol so to take an "Ativan" will be a big deal for me but it is better then having a panic attack.  Thanks for making me feel that I am not alone.

I think maybe my doctor (who is suppose to be the best) should join our forum ::).

Sarbeans,

Where are you having your MRI done?  You won't know for a week?  When I have mine done at the Mass Eye and Ear, I got the results within 2 hours.  Good luck and keep us posted, I will be thinking of you today.

LisaP ;D

For Phyl, I am going to Portland this weekend to see my niece and the Seadogs, have never been to a minor league gqme, looking forward to it.

LisaP