Author Topic: Tumor size versus hearing loss  (Read 3329 times)

lholl36233

Tumor size versus hearing loss
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »
Hi,

I have to ask those who might have missed it on my other post.  The doctor said they have seen people with small tumors lose hearing but people with large tumors retain hearing.  You would think a larger tumor pressing on the hearing nerve would cause the hearing loss?  My hearing has gotten worse but my tumor hasn't changed.

Ever heard of this?

Thanks.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Tumor size versus hearing loss
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:25:09 pm »
Laura ~

Yes, I have heard of this, that is, a small tumor damaging hearing when a larger tumor doesn't - or does less damage.  You can attribute much of this paradox to the exact placement of the tumor and how long it has compromised the nerve (which is delicate).  As with real estate, location is critical.  Others may offer more detailed, precise information but the fact remains that with ANs, size doesn't necessary dictate the extent of nerve damage inflicted on the nerve by the tumor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:38:08 pm »
To my knowledge, the place of the AN, not its size, determines what symptoms one has.  Therefore it seems we can assume that if someone's small AN is pressing more on the auditory nerve and another person's large one is not as close to the part of the nerve affecting hearing, this would explain that.  Since ANs (vestibular schwannomas) begin on the vestibular portion of the nerve, it also would explain why everyone has balance involvement.  Although many times the growth is so slow that the brain adjusts to the balance (vestibular) signals from the other good side without the patient ever experiencing noticeable problems.

Also ANs do not grow equally in all directions since they begin in the auditory canal.

It is a little puzzling why your hearing is getting worse but the tumor has not changed.  Perhaps it is growing so slowly that the MRI is not revealing a measurable change, but it is enough to be pressing more on the auditory nerve.  Many people on this forum have found that on resections the tumor was actually much larger than measured on the MRI.

Do not ignore the continued hearing loss.  And make certain your doctor is aware of progressing symptoms.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lholl36233

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »
Thank you Clarice.  Read all about me here.  I don't ignore anthing. ;D

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10361.msg119492#new
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:29 pm »
Laura .....

Sorry I did not do my homework and look back on your posts.  I hope you have some answers on your September appointment.  It sounds like you are in good hands.

My thoughts and prayers as you go through these next steps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »
Hi Laura,

there are many of us on the forum with larger tumors (in the 3 cm range) that had none or minimal hearing loss upon diagnosis. It seems that the ANs that are located in the IAC (internal auditory canal) actually cause more symptoms than those located in the CPA (cerebellopontine angle). so it is definitely a matter of location.
Hearing loss can happen even if the tumor doesn't grow. It is due to tumor related edema, i.e. the surrounding structures, may be inflammed, or the blood supply to the nerve reduced because of the presence of the tumor, thus causing hearing loss (sometimes sudden). If the hearing loss is sudden, very often a short course of steroids reverses the loss.

Hope this helps!

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:58 pm »
The interesting thing about ANs is that small ones can cause big symptoms and big ones can cause small symptoms.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason involved other than location - as others have said.

It's also true that not everyone experiences the same symptoms that ultimately lead them to their diagnosis, which is why lots of patients go undiagnosed or are misdiagnosed for years. 

We are all unique to some extent - and our AN journeys seem to follow this uniqueness.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:51:15 am »
I don't know who, or maybe many, have said this .... "small but mighty"
I have a small 5 mm
Hearing loss that continues.....
Mine is as far as you can get in the IAC and right up against the cochlea
DRs have explained that this makes it more challenging to preserved hearing - my ABR 5th wave was 5.6 (and the cut off I had seen in medical abstracts was 6.8 as an indicator for hearing preservation)
So, I would say definitely LOCATION plays a huge role in my little booger.
That is probably why I caught it so early, because of my hearing symptoms
I also have some facial pain issues around the ear that may be facial nerve related or could be more clutching my jaw in frustration! :D
DR also said where mine is is the narrowest part of IAC, so that makes sense that I would have symptoms though small...
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'