Author Topic: I just thought I was getting my BAHA today...  (Read 3516 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

I just thought I was getting my BAHA today...
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »
Drove over 100 miles today to my appointment to get my BAHA.  Supposed to get a Divino.  I walk into the audiologist's office and saw this big honkin' thing laying on the desk.  Sure enough, the word on it said "Intenso".  I promptly threw a fit and refused to even consider using that humongous thing.  My doctor came in and tried to tell me that I would be happier with the Intenso--I told him I was not wearing it, and why didn't they know about the BP100 anyway?  He said he would e-mail their district rep because he had no idea what I was talking about.  In the meantime, I have been waiting since my november surgery to get this thing, so what's a few more weeks?  Blech.

Vonda

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: I just thought I was getting my BAHA today...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:45:40 pm »
Bummer!  Cannot imagine the frustration on several counts!  Hope they expedite the delivery of the Divino!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:48:16 pm »
Vonda -

although the BP100 is brand spanking new, if your doc routinely does BAHA implants he should have been aware of it.  Cochlear spread the news to docs several weeks ago.

Don't settle for a Divino (although they are wonderful) - insist on a BP100 (which is technically a new and improved Divino).  If you accept the Divino you cannot trade it in (Cochlear will considered it used) and from what I've been told there is no upgrade feature (as in a discounted cost) if you already have a Divino or other device.   Because you basically have nothing at this point, you are "entitled" to a BP100. 

Those who have had BAHA surgery recently were told to wait for the release of the BP100 - your doc should have told you to do the same.

Stand your ground.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:51:16 pm »
  Supposed to get a Divino.  I walk into the audiologist's office and saw this big honkin' thing laying on the desk.  Sure enough, the word on it said "Intenso".  I promptly threw a fit and refused to even consider using that humongous thing.

Oh, Vonda,

Please don't diss the Intenso >:(

That's the model I have and I like it a lot. I wear my hair short and have no problem at all concealing it. Those of us whose hearing in their good ear isn't absolutely perfect are mighty happy to have it available!

I do understand your frustration and hope you get your BP100 soon.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:51:47 pm »
Also want to clarify for those who are unaware, that the Intenso is not much larger than the Divino.  I would by no stretch of the imagination consider it humongous.  It is slightly larger than the Divino - because it is more powerful.

It probably appeared much larger to you than it actually is because you were so disappointed that it wasn't a Divino.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »
Jan, I didn't mean to offend!  Oops.  It's just that is not what I signed up for, I wear a pony tail a lot and really wanted as small a device as I could get.  My dr, who is usually great, deciding that he knew better what I needed than I did just totally peeved me off.  My hearing in my good ear is perfect and yet he insisted that all his other patients were happier with the Intenso model--I told him I am apparently not as old and deaf as his other patients.  :-P

I'm curious to see what the district rep told him.

V

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 04:05:30 pm »
Hi, Vonda,

Actually I'm the Intenso wearer who responded to your comment with a  >:( . Jan just noted that the Intenso is not really all that gigantic!

I certainly wasn't offended by your remark, but merely want to reassure folks who may be thinking about the Intenso that it's not unmanageable by any means. It's larger than the Divino but feels absolutely weightless on my head -- I'm scarcely aware that it's there, and I think that Divino and BP100 wearers would agree with that as well. With perfect hearing in your good ear I definitely think that you're a great candidate for the Divino/BP100 amd I hope that yours will arrive soon.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:48:49 pm by JerseyGirl2 »
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:58:46 pm »
Vonda -

as Catherine noted, she's the Intenso wearer (I wear a Divino), but I was not offended either.

Just wanted to prevent others from thinking the Intenso was enormously huge.

I have perfect hearing in my "good" ear and that is what prompted my neurotologist to give me a Divino.  We decided that as I get older (I'm a "young" 47 1/2) and the hearing in my "good" ear starts to go that might be a good time to switch to an Intenso.

I'm obviously not a doctor, but IMO you want the BP100 (it's the new improved Divino).

Jan