Author Topic: Vestibular Schwannoma  (Read 3373 times)

rrjii

Vestibular Schwannoma
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »
I am looking for a Dr. the does at least 30 or more surgeries a year on a vestibular schwannoma located anywhere in the USA. In other words, the bust Dr. with experience.  Can you identify him/her to me and possibly suggest how to contact him/her?" ???

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Vestibular Schwannoma
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:59:46 pm »
rrjii .....

Welcome to this Forum.  You will find much support here.  For some reason there have been several inquiries today on best hospitals/doctors for vestibular schwannomas.  See http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10362.0 for my reply on that thread.

Dr. Takanori Fukushima at Duke University in North Carolina does over a hundred surgeries for acoustic neuromas (vestibular schwannomas) every year, as well as House in Los Angeles (someone else can tell you more about that).  I had excellent results at Duke and would highly recommend him.  See http://www.carolinaneuroscience.com/

Let us know how you are doing ...... are you newly diagnosed, how big is your AN, what are your symptoms?  All questions that might affect choice of treatment and where.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:09:43 pm »
rrjii -

there are many, many doctors who fit your description.

What part of the country are you from?  and are you sure you want to have surgery?  Radiation - gamma or cyber knife may be options for you.

Please contact the ANA and ask for their informational brochures - you'll find them extremely helpful.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patrick-OC

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:06:11 pm »
A lot of people put their doctors names in the footer of their posts as well as location.

I also contacted a support group which had tons of great information.
Those meetings are listed on the ANA website with contact information.

Good luck with your decision.

Patrick
5mm Middle Fossa removal on 6/30/09
House Ear Clinic & St. Vincent's Hospital
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz & Stefan

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:38:48 am »
The best Drs. are, of course, my doctors (as listed in my sig). They do about 6 of these kind of surgeries a week and I wouldn't have picked them if I did not think they were the best.  Of course other people on this forum may disagree with me and consider their Drs. the best.

I think you will have to do your own research and find out who YOU think is the best for YOU!

Good luck,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman