Author Topic: sport competition/involvement  (Read 17250 times)

Vivian B.

Re: sport competition/involvement
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:52 pm »
Hi Bernie,

Just thinking that you are ready to go back into sports is a great achievement. It means that you can and will do it. Even if it takes you a little longer to get fully into it, it's o.k. The important thing is that you will becasue you can. Sports activities will also help you with the depression. It's always hightly recommended.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Rc Moser

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 09:47:00 pm »
haven't been on for awhile, Hi everybody! Well, I guess it depends on how well you body reacts to the sport. Golf shouldn't be a big problem except for stigma and balance. running at a fast pace may be problematic do to the vibration and balance issues if you left with one inner ear? It's been 6 years since my AN/inner ear removal. I have almost made full recover. I am/was above average tennis player and I can tell you Tennis is hard at the level I expect to play.  Balance, vision, Stigma, and coordination (effects of one ear and vision) are tuff even after 6 years. the first three were out of the question for me. Even now I have to watch how fast I turn my head or run after the ball. My vision is blurred and balance can be a problem. But, I can still do it and getting better ever passing month. I expect to be able to compete at the tournament level again at the 60 and over  in the usta sectioned tournaments. That's my goal, I will be retired by then and have two and half more years to loose 15 lbs (have already lost 18 lbs) and fine tune my game.  Yes, it can be done depending on your how your body recovers and how bad you want it!?!, but don't expect it to respond quickly, give it some time and slowing work your way back.

good exercise seems to help my headaches? I feel better since I'm able to be more active now. This year was the first summer I felt like playing again, plus I have a good Friend that has a tennis court and he encouraged me to come out and try it again.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 03:01:37 am »
Bernie,
I'm over one year after surgery, ran a 5K 6 weeks ago, am running a 10K today and a half-marathon on Nov. 1.  I'm more fit now (at 50!) than I have ever been.  Go for it!!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

another NY postie

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:03 am »
I just wanted to point out that if you go to AN Community, Keri just completed a marathon yesterday and she had a better time than pre-AN surgery and she just had surgery last January.  I am truly amazed by all of you active post ANers and hope to follow.  Finding lots of inspiration here ;D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 06:57:51 am »
A little late to the dance and it looks like you're back on track but what the heck...my 2 cents.

I was on a long downward spiral until I broke out of it with involvement with sports...particularly standup paddleboarding. Best thing I could do for myself both mentally and physically. Overcoming the physical challenge is great mental therapy and the physical benefits are pretty cool too.

Good luck and have fun!
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

berniejfnp

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 07:22:28 am »
Hi All ,
Just an update for all who have been wondering where I am at with the triathlon training.  Well.....I can now say that after 6 weeks, I feel so much better, physically and mentally.  In the beginning it was interesting to deal with my own self attitude about what I could and could not do.  But the most amazing experience of not giving myself permission to sit back and question myself, but move forward toward my goal, became.  As of 2 hours ago, I swam 1 mile!!! now just think, until August, I was terrified of the bouyancy effect, it was really scarey.  I give great credit to my fellow AN's for my healing.  I must admit, the support and sharing from this forum has proven invaluable...we are so unique, although experiencing similar physical challenges, and yet so unknown to each other.  This technology, that allows us to share, provides a very powerful healing tool, COMPASSION and CARING.  I do believe that what each of us shares, does heal and encourage others....beautiful...an incredible gift....Thanks to all..
Bernie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:10 pm »
Bernie ~

Congratulations on your inspiring personal achievement and thanks for your kind words for the folks that make these forums what they are. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:08:21 pm »
Way to go Bernie! Very inspirational for us all.  Best Wishes, Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:06 pm »
Bernie -

glad to hear things are going so well for you.

As we always say, there is life after an AN - and you are proof of that!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 02:34:37 pm »
Go Bernie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Seal

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »
Bernie,

I do have a question for you now since you are further down the path to fitness than me right now.     As you began the workouts, did you have many issues with the headaches?    If so, did they subside over time?     I've tried spinning my normal stationary bike routine, but I've stopped short of a full work out due to the headaches.      Maybe I need to take it in small chunks at the beginning.    You are motivating me however to really focus and get back.    My riding buddies are all after me too to start into training again.   I'm looking forward to feeling (almost) normal again!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

berniejfnp

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 07:40:25 pm »
Hi Steve,
I had my surgery 12/2007.  After a medical clearance from Dr. Barker in February 2008, and a commitment to wear a helmet with sports like cycling and downhill skiing, I was supposedly ready to get up and start exercising again.  It was definitely one step at a time for me...I also had headaches that would creep into my exercise routines.  Of recent, I have not had any headaches, a true relief..Should I do any activity that requires a lift or strain, I get a teaser, but by stopping the activity, I recover in a few minutes, usually less than 10.  My first activity post op was downhill skiing, definitely green trails, no black diamonds.  I had a season pass that was purchased in August of 2007 so I couldn't bear not getting out a few times.  Certainly a challenge, but far easier to do that, than walk!  Hard to explain to friends and family, but walking was the hardest at the start.  Gradually over the last 2 years I began to get stronger and have a more dependable endurance for nearly all my recreational fun and no headaches.  My last bad headache was in May 2009 and only a few teasers since then.  What I do notice is that I must maintain my fluids with my sports.  If my fluids get low, it is almost a sure way to a headache.  I also have to listen to my body and pace myself.  Somedays, I just don't have it in me to train hard, so I take it easy.  Other days, I have alot of energy and exceed my determined workout. 

I guess in the short of it, listening to your body, feeling it communicate with you, it will guide you.  I am not totally where I want to be yet with my training, but I will get there by spring for the triathlon.  Still haven't decided which one yet, I'll post when I decide.

Keep focused on your goal, if you want it, it will be yours!!!

Bernie

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 11:34:38 pm »
Great to hear that things are going well. Your comment about hydration is spot on...not just to help prevent headaches but also helps with balance. I notice a BIG difference in my balance when I get dehydrated. In the hours before I go on a long paddle I drink at least a couple litres of water and wear a 2 litre hydration pack while I'm out there.

I'm hoping to be ready for some competitive racing next season. Lots of paddling and healthy eating should have me trim and as fit as I've ever been...well maybe not ever....hard to compare the 20 year old body to the 50+.... ;D...but the 30...that I think I can do.

Good luck....let us know how it continues.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

Seal

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 06:15:54 pm »
Bernie,

Thanks for the info.     With you and Bob, there is a lot of good feedback here about what to expect, and the hydration issue is one to remember.   Its always been important for the biking, and now its even more important.    My goals with the biking were already changing from working on speed and power to more of just long distance endurance.     We are all just happy to get out there over 50 years old, and I will never get recruited to ride in the Tour de France ( oh really?).   So like Bob says,  I'll be happy to be competitive with my peers and just get out and enjoy the ride.      Hopefully, we can continue to compare notes as the months go by. 

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 11:35:54 am »
I'll be happy to be competitive with my peers and just get out and enjoy the ride. 

Hehe...I don't want to just be competitive with my peers....I want to kick butt on the young guys.... ;D