Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 2158 times)

Cheryl R

American Girl
« on: September 06, 2009, 01:54:17 pm »
DHM,  I was thrilled to get to see the American Girl place as my youngest daughter, now in her 30's has Samantha.     Think maybe a extra dress too.            She does not want to give her up.  We were debating whether to get Samantha for our oldest granddaughter before it retired recently as it resembles the granddaughter.                   I enjoyed seeing all the little girls running around with their dolls.        I did get our granddaughters a bitty baby doll outift while there as thought it would fit their baby alive doll they each have.   It did and they were excited to get it.     That was their present from Grandmas big trip.               Our daughters hope to meet there next summer with the granddaughters along and get the oldest a doll.            The price is high and  have waited till she is old enough to be careful with it.    She will soon be 6.            She has been quite wild with some of her Barbies.         LOL!                         Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks since many of us were in Chicago. 
                                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: American Girl
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:58:21 pm »
Glad you like the photos...

You should see the wild baseball outfit my daughter put her doll in... and the head bands she sewed for it  ::)... One day I found the doll adourned with a cape suspended from a book shelf (that day I guess she was a super hero  :D)... oh to be able to imagine and create like a child...

You know they have plays with scripts too-  for these dolls
http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/details/181877-Actions+Speak+Louder+Than+Words+A+Play+about+Samantha+The+American+Girls+Collection+Play+Script

This is a doll culture I never knew as a child... growing up in Canada. Some of the books have great messages... my daughter read many of these in 3rd grade.

What I like about these dolls, unlike barbies, is these are NOT of anorexic and of odd proportions.

The doll also seems built to last for being actually played with- rather than to just collect dust on a shelf. I prefer things that promote imgainitive play vs the tune out to an electronic gizmo -for kids.

My eldest was never interested in dolls- so it this is cool to watch my youngest with hers to which she so enjoys playing with.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Cheryl R

Re: American Girl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:27:31 am »
Your daughter will have many good memories of her doll someday and gave me a smile for the day (or half smile anyway) of her very good creative fun with her.                     We want our little gal to be able to enjoy hers but keep it safe somewhat due to the not cheap price.                 I think she enjoys the Barbies for the pretty clothes factor and how she can make up stories about what they are doing.        Not quite to where she understands the body shape factor and how it can affect what you think of your own body yet.                                               Her mom is the teacher  one and very big into books so know the story factor will be used someday too.              Fun to see them learn as they grow up.                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care