Author Topic: Palpebral Spring  (Read 11482 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Palpebral Spring
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 05:53:42 pm »
The weight is placed inside the upper lid(outpt. surgery) - my surgeon placed it for the most symmetry to my other eye.  Those who have less paralysis than I do are able to fully close their eyelid when they blink - the weight works like gravity - when you blink your eyelid will close.  Because I have total paralysis, I probably have to blink harder than others.
My surgeon told me the weight needs to be replaced every 5 years (for those of us who will have it in permanently).
If you get movement back, the weight can be removed,  no problem.
Prior to the weight,  my eye had a 'skeletal' look - wide open, the top eyelid was all the way up & the bottom lid fell all the way down.
Now my eyes look almost symmetrical,  you don't feel the weight in the lid.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

procailo

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 01:46:01 pm »
I really hope you get this message.  I talked to you a while back via this website about my daughter and her papebral spring.  She has had 14 surgeries by Dr. Robert Levine in LA and we are totally disgusted with what her eye looks like now.  I think we are talking about getting the spring completely removed and maybe go with the ball.  I told her about you and she wanted to know what your eye looks like with the weight. Also, what doctor did you use, I think you said it was in Miami.  My daughter is only 27 and she is so sick of having people ask her what is wrong with her eye!!  If you would like, please email me through my personal email address.

Thanks so much,

Mary-Clare Procailo

Dallas, TX

Mary: I removed your e-mail address because the ANA does not permit personal e-mail addresses in forum posts (to protect your online security).  However, to anyone interested in contacting you, I note that you've made your e-mail address available on your forum profile page.  J.S.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:05:41 pm by Jim Scott »

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 05:39:14 pm »
Mary-Clare, I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having so many problems with her spring.

You can see a photo of my eye weight here: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7229.msg76670#msg76670. You can't tell I have a weight with my eye open (my avatar picture was taken about a year after the weight was implanted).

I'm not sure what you mean by going with the ball? There are solid gold and platinum weights and platinum chains - maybe that is what you meant?

Sara

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13