Author Topic: Visiting a Plastic Surgeon on 8/21  (Read 8436 times)

TP

Visiting a Plastic Surgeon on 8/21
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:56:43 pm »
It's been 3 years since my AN was removed. I have facial paralysis on my AN side. Finally decided to see a plastic surgeon to see if he can do something for my face. Has anyone visited a plastic surgeon for consultation and work? The AN side of my face my eyebrow is higher that the other eyebrow on the NON AN side.  Also, the wrinkle from your nose to your mouth it seems darker and bigger on the AN side of my face as well as below my mouth on my AN side there seems to be a cluster of wrinkles which I assume since the mouth really does not smile on that side. Folks tell me that can't notice but I think people are just being nice cuz I see it big time in the mirror.

Please let me know if you did visit a Plastic Surgeon and how things worked out, did they do botox, surgery or just say "get use to it...."  Thanks! :-\
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Kaybo

Re: Visiting a Plastic Surgeon on 8/21
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:43:47 pm »
I went to Dr.Patrick Byrne at Johns-Hopkins last year & had the T3. After 12 years of NO movement - I have been thrilled w/ the results!  I have never done Botox but am not opposed to it if it can help.  It is just not a "permanent" fix as it has to be redone every few months

k
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:54:56 pm »
Have you seen a facial physical therapist or neuromuscular trainer? The wrinkles indicate that your muscles are enervated to some degree, so I think therapy could help you.

Plastic surgery can have some great results, as can Botox. I'm fourteen months post-op and about to start physical therapy, so I don't have any personal results to tell you about, but I'm sure others will chime in.

I do wish you all the best, whatever journey you take.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:37:50 pm »
sorry I had to run a while ago as they were shutting the door on our around the world trip home from Chicago - we had diverted to stop for more fuel...i'm too tired now, but will post more tomorrow...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:01:48 pm »
The AN side of my face my eyebrow is higher that the other eyebrow on the NON AN side.  Also, the wrinkle from your nose to your mouth it seems darker and bigger on the AN side of my face as well as below my mouth on my AN side there seems to be a cluster of wrinkles which I assume since the mouth really does not smile on that side.

TP,

Like Kay I too have travel exhaustion (ie jet-lag)... and need to hit the hay.

I went to ALL the workshops related to "facial issues" at the Chicago symposium I took many notes (and business cards). I think Kay was at all of these too. Some excellent and valuable information was imparted to us... which I will pass on and share.

Am I correct in reading that your AN tumor affected side of your face has the higher eyebrow? If this is the case then it sounds like some nerve firing took place (this is good!) and your brow may now be hypertonic. In that case you may want to look at therapy combined with Botox before incision type surgery. Botox is very affective for me with the hypertonic muscles combined with neuromuscular facial retraining therapy… so far no incisions… I too will see how things progress by year #3 (I am year #2 post op)

What state do you reside in?

I ask as there was one plastic surgeon that really impressed me as she uses the “team approach” which also included physiotherapy… all others seemed to focus only on surgical techniques.

I am fatigued from travelling and my time clock is off having me with a little wonky head… I will write more later...

DHM
(also a 4cm)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

TP

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:56:54 am »
Thank you all for responding. I look forward to your additional comments. Very good timing that you all have this info from the symposium. My appt is this Friday so I am anxious to hear more stuff. Thanks again!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:49:55 am »
Hi TP:  like K said,  Dr. Patrick Byrne at Johns Hopkins is the way to go - he specializes in facial paralysis.
You can see my before/after pictures under Facial Issues: Post Temporalis Transfer (& it just keeps getting better & better - did you see K's pictures from the symposium ?!).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  My AN side eyebrow was higher too - Dr. Byrne did a brow lift on the opposite side, so they're symmetrical.
However, with age,  the AN side will stay high & the opposite side may start to droop - if it becomes annoying in the future, I'll
just have another brow lift on the good side !  I never had the wrinkle from nose to mouth on the AN side.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:31:54 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »
TP

As far as facial plastic surgeons who spoke this is the one that impressed me the most, at the symposium, as she used the “team” approach that includes neuromuscular facial retraining therapist.
http://www.facialnervecenter.org/team.html
The only one small flag I has is that she does not use the blink eze and was too pro- surgery on this small detail (the blink-eze stick on weight was FAB for me! No surgery)

Her name is
Dr. Tessa Hadlock MD

Here is their center website (with enough information to keep you up all night- web surfing)

http://www.facialnervecenter.org/research.html

She was a very impressive speaker who came with a great power point presentation. She was quite the spark plug! Quite young, well-spoken, … Harvard grad.

http://www.facialplastics.meei.harvard.edu/hadlock.htm

I have more info from the other presenters (who were also good- but she stood out to me...) but I have been swamped with the kids since I returned from Chicago and this is all I can get together for you- before your appointment tomorrow.

Similar to your AN treatment I advise you to do LOTS of research and seek multiple opinions.

Best wishes for tomorrow!

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

TP

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:36:02 pm »
I had my appt with a plastic surgeon today about my facial paralysis. I thought for sure he would recommend botox or some other injections even possibly an eye lift but he didn't. He said he recommends another type of surgery (I didn't write it down) but it would involve lifting the eye brow but doing other nerve procedures and he said he didn't believe anyone in this area has the expertise to handle this type of surgery. He did a fellowship at NYU and worked with a dr there that specializes in this type of surgery. He said he would contact his dr friend as well as do some research and see if he could get me a dr closer to where I live. I must say I was impressed with his honesty and support.   

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 02:37:43 pm »
TP ~

Thanks for the update on your consultation with the plastic surgeon.  I hope this will be the start of a successful journey toward your goal of facial normalcy, because you deserve it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
Glad you had a good appt.  I'm curious to know what the surgery is - keep us updated !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

moe

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 08:26:17 am »
TP
Thanks for updating us. Will be interested to see your plan, as I am in the same boat with facial paralysis, three years post op. I had the nerve transposition 12/7 18 months ago.
 Still waiting for more action from the 12/7 (doctor's insistence) so am going for consult tomorrow for acupuncture to see if that will help get things "moving."
 I also have facial massage every couple of weeks.
Thanks, DHM for the info from the symposium!
Hopefully I will meet you in September in Portland.
Happy day to all ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

superrmaren

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:39:09 am »
Hey,
zfor all those who saw Dr. Byrne at Hopkins, how was he?  I was Dr. Boahene at Hopkins and am absolutely in love with the new me!  It is far from perfect, however, I am much more like my old self!  I saw him for three years - doing little tweaks here and there.  Several little face lifts, eye lifts, Botox injections, a cheek implant, and a 7-12 nerve graft later, I am so happy.  He is wonderful! 

-maren 
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 10:13:30 am »
Hi Maren~
I absolutely can not say enough wonderful things about Dr. Byrne - if I were to have another child, I would probably have to name it after him!!  Aside from being so knowledgeable, he is just a GREAT human being - I would say that he has superb bedside manor, but it is more than that even - he is just a good person!  He even gave me his cell number after the surgery and he called me the night before surgery to see if I had any questions or concerns...told me "get a good nights sleep & know that you'll be in good hands tmorrow!" Can you believe that??  Then my friend in Baltimore ran into him & his family in B&N one day and talked to him - he introduced his wife and told my friend to call him "Patrick" - Can you tell I love the man??

K   ;D

PS - He's good lookin' too and I don't usually even noticed things like that!  ::)
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:28:11 pm »
Hi Maren:  I also had the T3 done by Dr. Byrne:  like K, I am very happy with the results !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis