Author Topic: Night Eye Taping  (Read 14575 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Night Eye Taping
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:16 am »
Protecting the eye is so important as a scratch on the cornea is the same as a scratch on a window and will be permanent.
Each night I use:

* Micropore 3M Paper Tape
* Refresh Lacri-Lube (no preservatives)
* Nexcare Opticlude Orthoptic Eye Patch (Junior Size)
* Vaseline
* Chap Stick

I wash my face with a warm cloth and apply a tiny bit of Vaseline on my eye brow, so tape doesn't pull off eyebrow hair in the morning.
I put a tiny bit of Vaseline on my finger and rub the inside of my nostril, really helps with the dryness.
I apply the Lacri-lube from the inside corner of my eye to the outside corner and give my eyelid a tiny rub to spread it around. I then use three pieces of tape the length of my middle finger, if it is too long it doesn't seem to work as well. I push my eyelid down and tape horizontally across my lashes (hold your eyelid close with your finger) apply the next two like an X over the first one. Still hold your eyelid down and apply the eye bandage. Smooth it down and hold it for a bit.
Remember the eye wants to open so don't apply it and then watch TV or read. Cover the eye just before you go to sleep and it it works really well. If you need to get up in the night hold it down so the eye doesn't pop open and your eye may get scratched.

I also applied a piece of foam on my sunglasses see my post under 'Eyewear' and my life and what I wanted to do returned to normal. I never have to worry about my eye, day or night.

It sounds like a lot but really I have gotten used to it and hopefully one day I will not have to use it.  It DOES get better.

Michelle    ;)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:12:55 am by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jaki

Re: Night Eye Taping
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:40:06 am »
Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your description. Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to tape my eye - it pops wide open right after and I am afraid I would damage it in any way. I am searching for alternatives to moisture chambers at the moment as they are quite expensive. Does anyone perhaps know a company in Europe (could be Austrian, Bulgarian, whichever ...) that also sells them and they come cheaper? I browsed the internet but didn't find anything useful so perhaps they are private companies.

Greetings,
Jaki

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:36:16 am »
http://www.dryeyecompany.com/

Hi Jaki,
Check this site out and the Dry Eye Yellow Pages, there are some interesting alternatives to taping that may be successful.
Nancy may chime in, she uses a Nite Eye Chamber that may help you.
Good Luck Jaki
Let me know what works for you, it may help others.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:13 am »
Hi Jaki:  I put info at Eye Issues:  topic: Nite Eye Dry Eye Comforter.  These things aren't cheap though...
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jaki

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:26:48 am »
I switch between a transparent bubble like Nite and eyeEco googles without the inner foams at night. However, when I ordered eyeEco from America, the cost of taxes and poastal charges was twice the amount of the packet value. That is why I am trying to find something like Nite and sleeping googles to order from Europe.

lisakao

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 05:08:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've stumbled across an effective/painless/inexpensive way to keep my eye moist at night.  I was previously struggling to seal the edges of an ill-fitting moisture eye cup with paper tape, which was not very effective & painful to remove in the morning!

"Glad Press 'n Seal" plastic wrap
It can be bought in a conventional roll from any supermarket. 
Packaging describes the wrap as having "Griptex" so that the sealing action only occurs where pressure is applied.  I cut the wrap into 3 in. by 3 in. squares as I need it (usually at bedtime or when taking a nap). 

How I use it:
1st apply eye moisturizing gel drops/ointment
Loosely apply square piece of wrap to eye & press to seal all the edges of the wrap around the eye (along brow bone/check bone/side of nose/etc).  Keep the wrap tented over the eye as you press & seal the edges so the wrap doesn't actually touch the eyelid area at all. 

It stays on very well and the inside stays really moist (if you apply eye gel drops first). It is easily removed when you want to take it off.  I use a fresh square of the wrap each time.

Hope you find this helpful!  I've certainly been comforted by all of you as I've silently lurked about since April. 

Cheers,

Lisa
Translab Surgery 5/12/09 @ House Ear Clinic
2.9 cm AN
Awoke from surgery with right side facial paralysis, but happy to be alive!
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz are ROCK STARS!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »
Lisa:  How smart of you to think to use the Glad press & seal like that !  It never even entered my mind.

Do you ever have a problem with your eye staying open & leaning into your pillow ?  I use a hard plastic moisture chamber that also protects my 'wide open'
eye while I sleep - I'm wondering if I lean into my pillow with the Glad wrap will it attach to my eyeball - gross I know but it's reality...
Thank you so much for the info.  When I get back from vacation I'm going to try it.  The cost would be much less than the chambers I buy !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 06:13:12 pm »
Welcome Lisa!
I am so happy that you have found comfort here. It is so wonderful that you are contributing your night eye information it may help others. It is so great that we have this forum and can be there for each other.
Michelle  ;D

lisakao

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 01:21:50 pm »
Hi Nancy,

My eyelid closes partially when I close both eyes, so I think it must be enough to keep the wrap from touching my eyeball.  However, I know that I'm not a light sleeper, and when I awake the "tenting action" seems to still be in place after a night's worth of tossing and turning. 

Sounds like you have a viable solution already - but if you are still interested in trying this out, maybe it might still work for you, or for Michelle and others who use paper tape to tape their eyelid shut.  I found that I can manually shut my eyelid and then press & seal the whole eye area, including the eyelid, and it will stay "sealed" & my eyelid shut until you peel it off (which again doesn't hurt at all - even on eyelashes - peel off downward rather than upward). 

The nice thing about this is that if it doesn't work for your eye care afterall, you'll still have a very effective plastic wrap for keeping food fresh!   ;)

Lisa

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:16:23 pm »
Thanks Lisa.    I'm going to give it a try when I get home from vacation,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:26 pm »
Hi Lisa,
I think it is good for each to try different things that may work. I tried the Press N Seal months ago (can't remember who mentioned it) and sadly it did not work for me so I went back to taping. It sure would save lots of money if it works for you!
Keep the ideas coming you never know what will work until you try!
Michelle ;D

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:13:26 am »
 ;) Press & seal is a cool idea.   I love that stuff for home use.  BUT, I am on here now researching ideas siince taping them hurt my skin, and a patch I have is too thick for under my glasses,   Well,  I have plent of the press & seal, so I'll be trying it.    Since I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and had delayed paralysis, I'm prayiing it will be temporary.

Boy do I LOVE this site!!
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:37:48 pm »
I just posted some pictures of something I got to cover my bad eye so the glary/lubed focus don't throw me off when on the computer, tv, reading, etc.

Let me know what ya think.    ;D   Maybe a little childess, but comfy and don't hurt the cornea at all.

thanks Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI