Author Topic: Balance after surgery  (Read 10537 times)

sreda

Re: Balance after surgery
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:37 am »
Same for me as for other replies here. I had no balance issues prior to surgery. After surgery I had pronounced balance issues. It was explained to me that during the surgery the balance nerve had to be cut and was not restored. Over time, my "good" side, balance wise, has compensated, and I have no balance issues at all unless I am really tired or turn my head from side to side too quickly (as in watching for oncoming traffic on the left and the right, while driving). I was told post surgery that lots of walking would help, which it did.
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old

tichinose

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 04:06:35 pm »
I have no hearing in right ear and the balance drives me crazy.  Maybe I need to try the rehab. 

joebloggs

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 12:15:12 am »
Like a lot of people here I didn't have massive problems beforehand that I noticed - I did have a few little ones that were pointed out to me by the doctor though. Post surgery was a very wonky headed time - my balance nerve was cut in translab surgery and I really noticed the difference.  It was amazing how fast the body started to compensate though.  Now, 6 months on, I'm about 90% I'd say.  Nobody else can notice I have balance problems but when I'm tired I can.  I just have to concentrate a bit more to stay centered I guess.  I'd highly recommend physio (or phyiscal therapy I think it's called in the states?) post op, they give you lots of exercises that really help especially with the high functioning balance stuff which we take for granted.  Also as many posters have noted be active before and after the op (obviously not straight away... relish the excuse to be a bit lazy for a while!) - but yeah, start taking good walks as soon as you can and often, that will absolutely help.  I did a lot of stand up paddleboarding (like Stoneaxe), walking, and am now back doing yoga and can balance on one leg now so obviously all the hard work has paid off!  Completed a 20 mile walk for charity on Friday night too - although I did it with hiking poles just in case as I got tired I started weaving all over the place!  I think they helped a lot!

Hopefully, with some rehab/physio and a lot of practice and activity you'll be able to get back to near 'normal'.

Cheers
JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

wcrimi

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:39 am »
I had significant balance and "wonky head" issues post surgery, but the improvement was very rapid for the first few weeks. Sometimes I would notice improvement by the day.   After the first 2-3 months, the improvement slowed to the point that I would only notice progress every couple of months. I started feeling more normal at the 10 month point. I am 10 1/2 months now and still feel some waviness in my head when in motion, especially when very tired.      
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:35:21 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32:52 am »
Laura,
My balance was bad for ten years prior to my surgery....my family thought of was always a little off!  I couldn't walk beside anyone because I would walk into them.  After months of PT, I have not improved at all, and it has been fours years plus since my surgery.  I would say, no two people are alike in this issue either.  Good luck!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT