Author Topic: AN ear 'plugs' with extreme exercise ?  (Read 3076 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
AN ear 'plugs' with extreme exercise ?
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:00:51 pm »
I'm very fortunate, and kept some hearing in my AN ear.  I did however, get 24/7 ringing.  Other than that, the ear doesn't feel plugged any more or packed like it did for weeks after surgery.

I've noticed that when I push myself hard doing something physical (long run today, going at a good clip), the AN ear plugs up and feels like it needs to be popped.  In the past when it's done this, it's resolved itself once my heart rate gets back down normal (or about an hour after).  Today however, I could not clear it.  It stayed this way (you know the feeling when you talk and it almost echos back in your head.  You plug your nose and blow but it doesn't clear....) today for the majority of the day (at least 8 hours after finishing). I initially thought it had something to do with blood pressure and constricting blood vessels, but that only seems to make sense if it went away when I cooled down and rested.  Today had me scratching my head altogether (and wondering if it would be the new 'normal').

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?  I don't go for my post surgery hearing test for another 2 weeks (surgery was exactly 2 months ago today).

Thanks!
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: AN ear 'plugs' with extreme exercise ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:18:08 pm »
Adrienne ~

I'm not a doctor and won't pretend to be offering a credible medical explanation for your exercise-induced aural fullness but it might have some connection to the Eustachian tube or even some residual post-op swelling.  It could be an inner ear problem, disconnected from the acoustic neuroma or your surgery.   Frankly, I'm just guessing.   I think this is a question better answered a medical doctor. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Re: AN ear 'plugs' with extreme exercise ?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:29:44 pm »
Well Jim......you started your post with "I'm not a doctor....", but I suspect you've learned enough about this particular thing that you may be getting close! LOL.

You nailed it with the Eustachian tube.  The ENT surgeon I saw today said that the Eustachian tube remains closed until we talk, etc.  The feeling that I'm getting is that the tube is remaining open for a period of time after extreme exercise.  Thankfully (?) he gets the same thing and knew exactly the feeling I was talking about.  He described it to a 'T'! (nothing to do with an AN for him). 

Nothing I can do about it, but also nothing to worry about.  May or may not go away in time.

Thanks for thinking it through!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!