Author Topic: My Fourth ANniversary  (Read 3447 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
My Fourth ANniversary
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:32:44 am »
Four years ago right now on was on my way to Clear Lake Regional Hospital to have my AN out.  What a ride this has been.  There have been many times I wished I had researched more and not been in such a hurry to get that sucker out!  As time passes, I realize that I made the right choice for me and I truly appreciate life, even with the off kilter feeling I have and the hoards of pills that now line my medicine cabinet.  I still get to enjoy the sunrises and sunsets.  I don't get to do a lot of things I once did, but I have found other almost as enjoyable things to in their place.  Who knows, maybe Uncle Arthur would have made me give up sky diving!  I can still look forward to President GHW Bush's annual jump and watch his wife, Barbara, cringe that he even thinks about doing it at his age!
The up side of all of this is that I have made some very wonderful new friends.  So thank you all for the encouragement, the advice and the daily laughter.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: My Fourth ANniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:15:08 am »
Happy Anniversary, Brenda. You've been through a lot in addition to your AN and always handle things with grace and humor. Thanks for being an inspiration to others.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:06:34 am »
My 4th is almost here too !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:16 am »
Brenda~
I just saw your entry on FB & thought I'd come over here before I commented there - Happy Anniversary!  You have come a long way...and even though it hasn't always been sunshine and rainbows for you, you have chosen to find those things and MORE & seek the positive.  In my book, that is the most important thing!  My favorite quote/motto goes something like this, "A beautiful flower has to push thru a LOT of DIRT before it can bring joy to others!!"  I like to think that we are beautiful flowers...what type do you want to be??  ;D ;D

Love & Hugs,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:28:51 am »
Thank you all!  Kaybo, I want to be a Gardenia.  They don't last near long enough, but smell so great while they are here!  Joe, I remember that you were right behind me in the surgery department, isn't it amazing what a few years can do?
Sara,
 I don't know how much of an inspiration I have been, but thank you for that!  It made my day so much brighter.
I am celebrating by taking my grand kids to the library!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:16:28 am »
MAJOR Puggle-Hugglez to you, Brenda! Congrats on your ANniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe, yeah yeah... will give you puggle hugglez as well... or buy you an apple dumplin! :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:24:09 am »
Brenda ~

Congratulations on your 4th AN anniversary!  Although you've encountered some bumps and potholes along the recovery road, you've managed to adroitly find ways around them.  Your positive attitude and sincere appreciation for what you have, rather than dwelling on what you no longer have, is admirable.  Thanks for being a part of the AN 'family' here - and for your contributions to the forums.  May the next four years be years of ongoing healing and renewed optimism as you continue to recover and help others to do so, through these forums.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:42 am »
Happy ANanniversary!!!!

Just passed my second and celebrated with a day in the big city with my girls and getting a tattoo ...  :o ...
hope you have a good day and remember this quote from my " I will be 10 in 2 days " daughter...she gives
it to me when ever I get whiny about bumps I encounter... "But you are breathing " ... I also
chose to continue breathing even being aware of the bad that may come with it ...

and if we are flowers I want to be a Black Eye Susan  ... there is a clump in the fence row outside my window by the
desk that I can see...bright and cheerful ...husband has eradicated them form the rest of the yard and hayfield
but under fear for his life left me the clump... they bloom from May til frost and just make me happy to see  ...

Have a good one and go out and get yourself a present ...maybe not a tattoo but celebrate where you have been
and where you are going ... another quote a friend gave me years ago ... MARF ..Maintain Absolute Rigid Flexibility ...
you may not be able to do things you used to or do things like you used to but if you are flexible you can still do alot ...

the other Brenda
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Brendalu

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »
The Other Brenda, that is too funny!!  I think I like your daughter!  I celebrated today by going to the library with two of my grand children!  I don't need anymore tattoos, I have two already!!  Congratulations on your second ANniversary!!
Phyl,  I love the puggle hugglez!!  This has been quite the ride, but I'm glad that I have gotten to take it with all of you.
Jim, I always love to read your words of wisdom and support.  Thank you
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:41:14 am »
Congratulations, Brendalu!

Definitely something to celebrate - and to celebrate big!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 04:04:46 pm »
Okay, so I'm late chiming in..  It's still heartfelt..  Congratulations on such a milestone!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager