Author Topic: Bad day and worried - need a cyberhug  (Read 4838 times)

Vivian B.

Re: Bad day and worried - need a cyberhug
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 05:17:23 am »
Hi Kenneth,

Sorry to hear about what you are going through at work. You are right, people do not understand the impact and the day to day life of living with an AN and the symptoms and damages it causes such as affecting your work.  I think a lot of people experience the odd comment at work. I have been fortunate in a way. I work with Long Term Disability Claims and myself and my co-workers understand different disabilities and their impact and therefore, I find they have been a little compasionate even though one co-worker mentioned to me that she doesn't know how I can go on everyday knowing that I have something like this and waiting for treatment.  You are not being oversensitive at all but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Whichever way it works out at work, "it will all turn out for the best". This was one of my father's favourite lines. Good luck.

Vivian   
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 05:21:03 am »
Kenneth,

Sending you a huge cyberhug (((((((())))))))))))

Your buddies are a bunch of insensitive ****s.  I hope your balance is improved enough to keep you where  you want to be, it's bad enough having a hearing problem.  I understand how devastating it can be to have your career derailed by a disability.  I was an EMT and in training to become a paramedic when I was in my 20s.  My knee problems (yes I had them even then) weren't nearly as bad as they are today but bad enough to end that  career path.  Although I was strong, I just couldn't handle a lot of stairs while carrying patients who might weigh 200+  in a stair chair down one or more flights of stairs which was part of the job. 

As for beiing made fun of for your hearing disability, my husband of all people sometimes makes fun of me.  I know he thinks he's being funny, but sometimes he's not.  It seems to be his way of dealing with his frustration of  my not hearing him, but I wish he'd come up with another way.   Hang in there.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

TP

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 05:56:42 am »
A BIG HUG to you....Get your legs stronger. Do as many squats, leg lifts, explosive activities for your legs. My balance was minimal due in part I believe to my strong legs. We appreciate and respect our soldiers! God bless you and even though we want to smack folks for being ugly to us about our hearing loss, we have to have a sense of humor. We will keep you in our prayers.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:15 am »
I have a few people who were constantly talking very slow and loud to me with as few words as they could get
by with using ... I , in a bad moment of frustration at them acting like I not only couldn't hear well , but couldn't
understand big words , resorted to their mentality and talked loud and slow to them ...

I'm   Sorry . I   didn't   know   you   were   mentally   challenged .

they stopped their behavior ...

hope balance tests go well ...sending hugs
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:00:21 am by Soundy »
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 09:44:10 am »
A big cyberhug from Ohio comin' at you!  I"m sorry that happened and I understand how you feel.  People can be really insensitive.  I've always tried to approach life's challenges with humor and it has reallly helped me throughout my life...but sometimes, you're just not able to laugh and that is tough when others just don't get it.  I do think that so many people just don't know how to handle sensitive issues and use humor (albeit inappropriate) to get past it (my husband and his family are in this group!).   

I hope things work out for you professionally.   

...and you're not being overly sensitive at all...just human.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

kenneth_k

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:38 am »
Hello everyone.

I had my balance tested at the Naval- and Aeromedical center in Copenhagen.
It wasn't all that bad. No nystagmus but poor reflexes, which explaines my clumsiness when I play soccer with the kids and why my vision gets blurry when running. At least I'm running straight and fast now ;) The doctor actually thought I have recovered quite well.

The result will be put forward to the military medical board, and I guess I will know the verdict sometime this fall. I have decided not to worry to much, since basically its out of my hands.

I will concentrate on enjoying my summervacation in the UK. I don't have the guts to take our car to London. I remember the Chevy Chase movie, National Lampoon's European Vacation.

Have a happy summer whereever you are.

Kenneth

followingHim

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:01 am »
I hope you enjoy your vacation in the UK.  Which places are you planning on visiting?

I hope you have good weather.

Blessings

Ley

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 05:52:27 am »
Hey Kenneth-

Cyber hugs from NJ!  And, how about a cyber-pop-in-the-nose for those guys, too?  Keeping fingers crossed for your balance test. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 07:19:23 am »
Kenneth ....

Good news on the balance test ..... now we will just pray the military medical board agrees that you will continue to improve and be able to resume your career.

Keep us posted on what happens ..... and I am envious of your vacationing in the UK ..... have fond memories of doing that several years ago when our daughter lived in Manchester.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011