Author Topic: Tinnitus question  (Read 2089 times)

Melissa778

Tinnitus question
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:13:17 am »
Last evening whenever someone spoke, or I heard the television, or even when I spoke everything sounded like it was at  higher frequency...high pitched and almost "mechanical".....so hard to explain....It got to the point of very bothersome and irritating so I just went and laid down in a quiet room and fell asleep.  This morning it seems to be gone, yet I have moments where it happens but it's not lasting like it did last night.

Has anyone ever had this?  Is this a form of tinnitus?  I do have tinnitus in my deaf ear, but have never had issues with hearing in my good ear.  Should I call the doc? Just confused on what this may be?  or may not be?  maybe it's just a fluke?

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Tisha

Re: Tinnitus question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:46 am »
Hi Melissa,

You explained yourself fine and I think this "mechanical" sound is very typical with an AN.  I have it and it's extremely hard for someone else who has not experience it to understand how you hear.  I've even said "electronic" tone, as "mechanical".  It's not tinnitus, as I have that also.  I think the mechanical must have to do with the hearing nerve being pressed and this is just how noises are perceived. It's so weird, and annoying, and sometimes like you I just need quiet.  It's tiring.  It also varies as to intensity.   Tinnitus is more like noises that vary.  My tinnitues is similar to TV static.  Pretty soft actually, and I don't normally notice it during the day.  Even at night when I try to sleep it's just a soft constant static, so it doesn't stop me from resting.  I didn't have it in my AN ear until after my CK treatment so that's sort of a bummer. 

I've also experienced something called Hyperacusis.  Things get abnormally loud.  I only had that for a weekend, then a low dose steroids got rid of it and I haven't had it since. 

HOpe that helps a bit.  Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

wcrimi

Re: Tinnitus question
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:28:37 am »
I have that all the time, but it seems to be improving with time. For me it happens in loud situations like bars and restaurants.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move