Author Topic: Wish me LUCK! ... I survived!!  (Read 10180 times)

Jeepers

Re: Wish me LUCK! ... I survived!!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:26 am »
Holy mother of pearl  :o  I am A-STOUNDED how the human body can bounce back. I don't know if I'm breaching any form of etiquette here, but those first days or so of "lost" days ... they weren't LOST ... I have NEVER felt SO miserable in my life ... I couldn't even IMAGINE feeling so miserable. I had nausea to the en'th degree. Constant and uncontrollable until finally falling asleep sometime Friday night and waking Sat morning. They stopped the pain med and just kept feeding me anti-nausea, but it had to run itself out of my system I guess. Fortunately the pain was not noticeable ... I was too busy wanting to die from the wretching.  :'(

AHHH!!! The things we can LAUGH about now!!

I don't know how long I will last in this post, as I had some bad pain when I woke this a.m. and doubled up on the Vicodin, so I'm still pretty spacey.

Short version ...

Surg went exceptionally well per the docs on Thurs a.m. - only taking about 3-1/2 hrs. Got it all, no involvement whatsoever with the facial. I believe the tumor was a small 1.4cm. Both Drs. Battista and Kazan are as EXCELLENT as I anticipated. They visited early daily and were very reassuring.

[skip to feeling like a human being again ... Saturday morning]
Moved out of Neuro ICU. Double vision. Annoying but no big deal. Did I mention I was no longer nauseated??  ;)

Sunday - double vision gone and now only those little twitchy eye movements. Again, annoying, but knew I was rebounding.

Pain was incredibly minimal during all this time, but now started to increase because of the tightness of the bandage. Dr. B was due in later on Sunday to remove it. I had to add tylenol to the push pain, which helped, but was much relieved when he showed up at the door with a pair of scissors.

We talked about at-home pain management and I was taken off the IV pain so that I could test which option I would tolerate best at home ... Darvocet or Vicodin. I started having significant pain about 930p and took the Darvocet. That was not successful and after a long bout of back and forth with the nurses' button, the nurses aide, and finally the nurse, I went back on the IV pain. If there was any bump in the road, this was it, as when I explained that I wanted to go back on the IV (I believe it was now hovering around 1am), the nurse suggested it might delay my expected release the following morning  ??? Since this was not what Dr. B mentioned, I repeated to her that we were testing the oral meds, with the option of going back on IV if necessary (without ANY delay in discharge), she agreed   ??? and I was comfy again in short order.

My discharge was brilliantly handled by Ana first thing Monday morning and I was back IN MY HOUSE by 9AM !! (the hospital is not far)The nurses I remember were Linda, Mary Kay and Ana. OUTSTANDING!! Attentive, compassionate and kind, with the warmest senses of humor.

My improvement is just as Dr. Battista indicated - noticeable each and every day for this first week home

... to be continued ....  :)
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:26 am »
"Darvocet or Vicodin"

Life is warm and toastie- now you are a postie. Welcome to the other side!

The pain meds will constipate you- so be sure to take a stool softener... as you do not want to bear down after brain surgery. You are family now that you are on this side... know that we can talk about anything... even poops. ;D

Hang in there and know that are many of us on-line here to offer you support (yes even to talk  "poop talk")

So glad your face was not involved. This is great news!  :)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »
Jeepers ~

Congratulations on a successful surgery!  I'm sorry to learn your first few post-op days were unpleasant but you seem to have rebounded and left the nausea behind.  I trust the pain will also be receding very soon so you can get off the pain meds.  No facial issues is always good news as this is the biggest issue with AN surgery.  Overall, your relatively brief hospitalization appears to have been bearable and your recovery well underway.  I hope and will pray that continues.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 07:16:46 pm »
Home and recovering, one way or another. That's what we like to hear!

Glad you made it back, now rest often and take it easy, you deserve it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »
Jeepers -

WONDERFUL to hear from you  ;D

Your post op experience was much like mine - extreme nausea and double vision - but gradually making steady progress daily.  And I'm definitely with you on the "never feeling so miserable in my life" for the first couple of days.  I usually like to say it was like being run over by a Mack truck.  But either way, lots of us know the feeling.

I, too, found the nurses @ Hinsdale Hospital to be incredible - and you already know my opinion of Drs. Battista & Kazan.  Glad your experience was a good one.

Don't worry, DHM, unless things have changed in the past two years, colace is part of the program with these docs - so the poop issue should have already been taken care of.

Jan

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:24:15 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 08:08:44 am »

Holy mother of pearl! You crack me up!
When you mentioned you had minimal pain, I was impressed! Until you mentioned about the pain pump.
You're the lucky one, except for the dry heaves from hell of course.
Have others received pain pumps post op???
I felt like hammered s!#@ after my surgery. Only words to describe it.
Improved to "road Kill"  after a few days.  And then just plain ole doo doo.
Take her slow and easy. Lots of rests, naps, walking, rests, naps, walking and pooping too ;)
Lots of water too.
Congrats!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »
Jeepers -

Don't worry, DHM, unless things have changed in the past two years, colace is part of the program with these docs - so the poop issue should already been taken care of.

Jan

I think we need to always let our newbies know, once they become posties, that we are a family that allows "bathroom talk"  ;D... as inevitably - as even with our buddy Jeepers here ... it came up.

See...

http://ana.ngmwebteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10099.msg115640#msg115640

I am realizing that many doctors/ surgeons are neglecting to have "the poop" talk with their patients... so we here on the forum give them the OK to talk "poops"... as even with the collace more than half of us get "clogged plumbing" due to pain meds.

"Keep moving forward!" (Gee that has a whole new meaning in this thread  ;) ;D)

DHM (aka "4")

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
"Keep moving forward"  VERY amusing comment, DHM  :D

No pain pumps for me - didn't even know it was an option @ Hinsdale Hospital.  But I didn't require pain meds, which may be why I wasn't aware I could have one.

Sounds like a great idea, though.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 06:33:40 am »
Jeepers, thrilled to hear you're doing so well!  :D
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 09:12:45 pm »
Great news and good wishes for continued improvement!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!