Author Topic: Gamma Knife this morning, so far so good!  (Read 3405 times)

eab

Gamma Knife this morning, so far so good!
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »
Well it’s done.  My head has officially been cooked and I’m on the road to recovery.  It was quite an experience, with the frame on I felt a little bit like Darth Vader. I arrived at Hoag at 6:10a and was out by 10:10a.  As is typical, they put and IV in me, went through all the paperwork, the anesthesiologist knocked me out, they put on the frame and I was good to go.  I will say that more than once during the day I did think that the CK folks really did have the right idea by avoiding the pins, but once it was off and I was up and moving I felt fine again.  After the very noisy but very short MRI (about 14 minutes) they planned out the attack and then off to the Gamma Knife.  I brought a CD of favorite tunes that helped distract me as they did 14 "shots" over 40 minutes.  Dr. Duma was so impressive as a dedicated, thorough doctor with compassion and a great bedside manner.  I would highly recommend him to anyone who is still considering all of their options or to anyone on the west coast who is interested in the gamma knife.

Now that I am home I have a heavy head – like I’m wearing a steel baseball cap and I’m tired but other than that I’m feeling good.  Ice packs, Tylenol and movies are on the agenda for today and tomorrow. 

Thanks again to all who had kind words, posts and PMs - much appreciated.  It really does make a difference to have a whole cheering squad behind me as I continue on this journey.  I do feel like I've now just begun the longer, hopefully less intense, part of this course.  So here's to a dying tumor and limited or no side effects.  And to all of you who have a date, it is glorious to be on the other side.  Hang in there!
Beth
Left side AN 2.5x1.7x1.5cm, limited hearing loss, limited tin., good balance
GK 7/6/09 Hoag Hospital; MRIs at 2, 6 & 12 months show no change in tumor size - hearing etc. same as before GK.

sgerrard

Re: Gamma Knife this morning, so far so good!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:26:25 am »
Congratulations, Beth. I'm sure the head clamp effect will wear off in a few days. If you are like most radiation patients, you will feel so back to normal soon that you will wonder if they really did anything. Then in a few months you will get some sort of swelling effect, just to reassure you that they really did zap it. It is all part of the fun of radiation treatment. Hopefully it will be something mild.

Meanwhile, best wishes, and enjoy your summer!  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:15:17 am »
Beth -

glad to hear things went well.

Thanks for the update,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:41:44 am »
Hi Beth,
I bet you're happy to have this behind you. Take it easy, and you should feel better tomorrow. I found that alternating heat and ice helped the best on those sore spots.
 :)
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:27:51 am »
Hi Beth,

Congratulations on being on the other side of this journey. Wishing you all the best on your recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

GRACE1

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »
Great news!  I am sure you will do as well as I did after GK.  Keep us updated.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:57:49 pm »
Hi, Beth ~

I appreciated your account of the Gamma Knife treatment.  Thanks for letting us know how it went - which appears to be 'quite well'.  :)  Definitely relax and 'chill out' for a few days.  We're happy to be your cheering section and hope we can cheer you right on through a rapid recovery and a dead AN! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:29:16 am »
Hi Beth,

Congratulations, and continued good thoughts for successful results as time moves along.

We hope you enjoy the movies you've picked out, and that you are able to rest comfortably.

Hope you feel better,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

goinbatty

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:18 pm »
Congrats Beth!!!  Take it easy for awhile and remember to take power naps when needed. 
Take care,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 04:53:29 am »
Beth,

shame on me for being late here, but congrats for being a "toastie postie!"...... pls keep us updated as to how you are doing and I'm cheering you on! 

Well done!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"