Author Topic: Anyone knowledgeable about motorcycle noise?  (Read 6798 times)

Lilan

Re: Anyone knowledgeable about motorcycle noise?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »
He just returned with groceries. He looks like a college kid. I don't hate him anymore.

(But will again at 7 a.m.)

OK, will move on from this issue now.  :D

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

heyct

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 01:04:29 pm »
Hi Lilan,

Wish I had something to offer, but I'm stumped. Maybe if you walk out w/a cane & bandaged wrapped around your head he'll be a little tolerant and understanding.

My husband has 3 motorcycles, yes, 1 is a Harley & that is my son's favorite word..."motorycyle! motorcycle!". I'm not even trying to fight it.
Thank goodness the noise/vibration doesn't bother me & he hardly rides the noisy one.

Look forward to hearing the solution,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Lilan

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 01:13:41 pm »
It's been so blissfully quiet this holiday weekend! He is either out of town, holed up in his apartment, or walking or cabbing wherever he goes.  ;)  My morning headaches are significantly milder without the noise -- which I'm sure will return tomorrow! (I don't have bad headaches -- just enough to notice the Advil has worn off overnight!)

The police basically said this kind of thing is really difficult for them to enforce and suggested attending a beat meeting if I have a noise complaint. Which really, overall, I don't. I seem to be back to either putting a note on his bike asking if he could even roll a few more feet away from my window for a few weeks, so it's not firing into the noise canyon outside my bedroom (the window angles onto a brick house -- it seems to amplify noise!) or just live with it!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

gordy

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 01:39:51 pm »
im a rider and sorry for the noise that its caused. rolling it a block is not an easy task nor one that any one would do. hope that you get the issue resolved and are able to get some rest.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 03:52:26 pm »
Lilan ~

I figured this would be a tough one to resolve.  I suspect you may have to resort to an earplug and wait until the cold weather for this inconsiderate fellow to put away his motorcycle.  Of course, he may respond favorably to a note asking him to walk the heavy bike down to the next block before starting it - but I wouldn't count on it.  It's a shame that individual bikers can give the millions of motorcycle-riding enthusiasts a bad name by their lack of consideration for others when noise is an issue. 

I suspect that motorcycle sales would drop 50% if loud motorcycle exhausts were permanently banned by law.  As much fun as riding a motorcycle can be, I strongly suspect that the noise they make and the feeling of controlled power between the rider's legs is a bigger part of motorcycle's appeal than most riders would care to admit.  If so, don't expect this young man to give it up anytime soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 06:03:45 pm »
When the cold gets here he may put away the bike n break out the new blower or snow mobile.......i am reconsidering the whole earplug deal also.....my bad ear seems to magnify what ican hear by 1oox,I did find  it useful when i stayed at b/f house last night
he has restless leg n moves feet back n forth against sheets i just turned my head over n did not hear nada!The snoring did keep me up  bit n i tought of how awful the noise from the motorcycle must be....i thought of asking him to to take it down the block too!! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Lilan

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 07:11:53 am »
This is a classic case of even if the problem isn't solved, the sympathy and commiseration helps  :)

If nothing else, my physical and emotional oversensitivity should ease before long and I can treat this as the relatively minor annoyance it is for my "normal" neighbors. I did notice that it was way worse on the cool days we had last week -- when I didn't have my AC unit on. Perhaps the white noise helps muffle it somewhat. I was awake when he started up today, so I immediately plugged my ears (ear) and so it was OK.

Lilan

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:19 am »
Last night a car had taken his favorite parking space, so he parked a couple spaces (maybe 30 feet at most) away from my bedroom window -- and I slept right through his departure this morning. Woke up, looked out the window and the bike was gone. So I really do think that "noise canyon" of that particular spot is really making it worse. If the other car goes away, maybe I'll try to move my own car there  ;D ;D ;D