Author Topic: Hearing impairment and accounting profession  (Read 2758 times)

raj_06

Hearing impairment and accounting profession
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:05:52 pm »
Hey there,

I am a newly registered member, although I have had SSD (of course due to AN) for three years. I am planning to join Masters in Accounting program. I would like to know how suitable is the profession for hearing impaired people like us..Any accountants out there? please share your comments and experiences..

Thanks,
Raj
"After all these ordeals, I still say all is well":)

Melissa778

Re: Hearing impairment and accounting profession
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:51 am »
Raj....i work in accounting and finance, I have no issues with my SSD.  Other than when I'm on the phone I dont' hear someone come up behind me :)

Best of luck in your program.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:33:12 am »
Raj -

I'm an accountant, have been for 27+ years.  The biggest issue I had with SSD post op was trying to hear others in meetings and trying to hear someone who talked to me in a low voice, usually trying to share confidential information.

My solution to the problem was getting a BAHA.  Could I have continued my profession without it?  Yes.  Has the BAHA made it much easier?  Absolutely.  The hearing I get from my BAHA helps immensely in meetings and on conference calls.  I don't have to ask others to repeat themselves.

Another thing I found helpful post op, before I got my BAHA, was telling people upfront in certain situations that I was "half-deaf" and if they spoke to me and I seemed to ignore them, that they should't take offense; they should just repeat themselves.  I still use this tactic in crowded or noisy rooms (think large meetings) since the BAHA, like most hearing aids, doesn't work well in that kind of environment.

Don't let your SSD interfere with the life you want to live - unless of course it would entail danger of some sort.  I'm confident you'll be a great accountant  ;D

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:03:58 am »
Raj,

I'm a CPA and work for a large corporation. I deal with lots of people every day and really have no big issues being SSD. If you have one good hearing ear, you should be fine.

The most difficulty I have is going to business lunches in noisy restaurants....as you probably know, that can be a challenge to hear everyone well at a large table.

Jan gave you some good input regarding BAHA to help with bi-lateral hearing. I have found so far that I get by just fine understanding everyone in meetings unless there's a lot of background noise.

Like Jan says, SSD should not alter your desire for an accounting career if that is what you want. Good Luck

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

raj_06

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »
Thank you Melissa, Jan and Patrick for your inputs. I have been quite anxious about my career choices after being SSD. Like you guys said, I believe SSD shouldn't be a big issue for a career in accounting. I am sure being a teacher or musician  :P would be bigger challenge (I know there are some of them here).

Jan, I haven't thought about a BAHA yet. I am sure it is a wonderful device for people like us. Yes, I am concerned about the meetings and conference calls. Probably, telling people upfront would be a good idea too. And, I will definitely consider BAHA (I will ask for more information about it if I decide to go for it; I am only 25 now and am hesitant to have it now ;D). And since technology is getting better, I guess later the better ;D ;D.

Patrick, I am also planning to be a CPA after completing my masters program. I will have completed the 150 credits required to take the CPA exam. Its good to know that you are doing great even when you have to constantly interact with people.

Again, thank you all for sharing your experiences and comments.

-Raj

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:44:58 pm »
Raj~
I am NOT in the accounting field BUT I wanted to let you know that I think being upfront about your hearing loss is the best way.  I had my surgery when I was 25, 13 years ago.  The BAHA was not even an option then so I have gone all this time with nothing.  Could it be better?  Yes, but I think that since I do just tell people, it is fairly easy for me...just my 2 cents...

Good Luck!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

raj_06

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:37 pm »
Thanks K for your comment..Yes, I also think that telling upfront about your deafness can make the whole situation easier when we expect situations where we might have difficulty understanding people.

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:54:45 am »
I am sure being a teacher or musician  :P would be bigger challenge (I know there are some of them here).

-Raj

I have personally been thankful that I am not:  a competitive gymnast or ice skater, a symphony conductor, a roofer or high altitude construction worker! ;D

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Tisha

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:21:18 am »
I'm also an accountant, and I find it a blessing to be able to work with hearing distortion in a job in a quiet office.  Normally, I only have to talk to one person at a time, so no big deal.  Meetings, sometimes can be difficult, but then having meetings for me is not the norm.

I think any type of quieter area of work will be fine.
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys