Author Topic: Another "out in the left field" question  (Read 1338 times)

tenai98

Another "out in the left field" question
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:04 am »
Who has returned to work?  How many of you went on LTD?  I cant go back to my regular job after surgery so I'm trying to think of a new career choice within my limitations. Waitressing would be out because of balance issues.  I'll be SSD but my good ear is modereately impaired (50 dbs). This is stressing me out. Not the surgery not the tumor itself altho it is the cause of my issues.  At 50 yrs of age, should I try to apply for LTD? My company has no benefits.  In Canada I can try and get CPP-D (Canada Pension Plan-Disability) but I have to be 'severe' and' prolonged' in order to qualify. I'm not one to 'scam' the system. I dont believe in that but yet there are some with fake disabilities on CPPD so they dont have to work.  I cant see myself sitting at home doing nothing. I need to work at something even if it is volunteer work.  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Mickey

Re: Another "out in the left field" question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
I suggest you take it one step at a time. Your AN is not that big and being you made the decision to have it removed I`d wait to see the outcome. Very possible of a very favorable outcome! Prayers are with you, Mickey

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:59 am »
Hey, Jo!  The weather improved dramatically for you the day we left to come back to GA!  Hope you're enjoying it!

I agree with you that it is not likely that you can continue w/ your current line of work, hearing being a pretty important part of your particular job :)  But, I'm sure there are many other things you will be able to do for empoyment should you choose to continue to work.  Well, easier said than done, but what I mean to imply is that I don't think your post op life will limit you from other types of employment...just the unique one that you have been doing.  Does that make sense?

Anyway, I do hope you guys are enjoying your time down there!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »
Jo ~

Although it makes sense to plan ahead, I think Mickey is right.  I would wait until after your surgery and a few weeks of recuperation before trying to make career decisions.  You'll want something that doesn't demand good hearing acuity.  Probably a 'desk job' or something that doesn't entail a lot of running around. Perhaps a part-time job where you don't have to deal with the public or use the telephone a lot, as these functions would be difficult with SSD.  I don't know your personal history or what jobs you've held in the past so I won't speculate on what kind of work you should look for.  Again, until you're past surgery and have recovered a bit, it wouldn't make sense to focus on a specific type of job.  However, volunteer work should be easy enough to find.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:26:26 pm »
Boy! Where do I start with this one?

To begin, I'm 51. I've been a musician all of my life and have made a living playing music. I was at one time in the electronics industry (hi-tech). I had always worked a day job and moonlighted by playing music at night and on weekends. After I got laid-off in the '90s, I was forced to further develop my skills as a musician. This worked out well as it eventually grew into a full time job. In the midst of all this activity in music—which is very grueling and often thankless hard work—I began to get increasingly ill with the A.N.. Not having health insurance, I continued working (never missing a gig) until I could barely even walk anymore, crawling into a hospital, physically impaired and sick with fear, seeking free care.

Having emerged from this dilemma (half-deaf of course and with other problems) I had no choice but to continue abusing myself by going back to what I was doing before I got sick. Not only am I half-deaf but my left hand has been impaired from brain compression caused by the enormous tumor. I can still play but because I'm a bass guitarist and bass is more of a rhythmic instrument, most of I do comes from the right, or picking hand. Yet, it still hurts my left hand. Not only that, my good ear is being subjected to dangerous volume levels. I wear an earplug. I'm in good physical condition from the neck down. From the neck up though, I'm a wreck. I'm also afflicted with constant double vision. Driving at night has become almost maddening with disorientation caused by the glare from headlights. I've noticed that I get lost easily if I'm not familiar with where I'm going.

While I really shouldn't be doing this, I'm in a position where I am being forced to build my schedule back up to the level it was at before I became ill with the A.N.. Not only is it extremely difficult in this economy, my heart just isn't in it any longer. I never thought I'd see the day when the empty drudgery of some stupid forty hour a week job would seem more appealing than doing what I supposedly loved to do for a living.

The bottom line is that I'm tired of the whole business. I'm 51, not 25. I don't like anything or most anyone that is associated with it either. Not only has it become especially hazardous to someone in my situation for ear-related reasons but it is no environment that you'd want to find yourself stuck in if you're a person with clean living habits. It's become a veritable nightmare for me. I can still hear well out of my right ear and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

So, one would naturally think, "then just get another regular day job". HA!! In this economy? Easier said than done. Not only does a person need to have a certain skill set, but they need friends in the right places.

That leaves SSD! perhaps? Sure, I have some impairments from what I went through but I'm not really in bad shape. I'm probably healthier than 75% of the people walking around on the street. I genuinely take care of myself and always have. The other concern is that while I'm in decent physical condition, I am, after all, 51 years old. I'm tired, disillusioned, bitter and pissed-off that the few things that I was really good at (music and art) have been unceremoniously robbed from me. What am I supposed to do, beck and grovel for some Government funding so that I can go back to school to earn a certificate of some kind so that I can while my remaining years away in miserable servitude doing something I was never interested in doing to begin with? I think not.

As far as my equilibrium is concerned, yes it was been impaired. The good news is that is has gotten much better over time. I noticed the other night that I walked upstairs in the dark holding a full cup of coffee without grabbing the banister and didn't spill a drop! There's something to be said for that!

I know this may come across as "negative" but for me it is in fact the opposite. Constructive ranting has become a saving grace for me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:54:09 am by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.