Author Topic: 3 wks post-op - Is this normal?  (Read 3260 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
3 wks post-op - Is this normal?
« on: February 05, 2009, 12:04:01 pm »
HI All,

Maybe I'm paranoid....but I'm 3 wks postop (retrosig procedure - large AN).  I was put on a 2nd round of steroids a week after discharge because of really bad headaches.  I've been off of this 2nd round 3 days.  Last night - major headache and I have a really tight sensation at the back of my head basically from ear to ear.  Is this normal?????  I feel like I'm stronger than I was (yay!) and so far today, no headache.  Is the tightness normal?  I've read some posts about a lumbar drain post op - why would one need that?  Is what my symptoms are indicating?  I've got a call into my Dr. but so far, they haven't called me back.   Any thoughts out there????  My one month followup appt with my surgeons are a week away.  Any advice or suggestions, personal experiences will be appreciated!!!! 

Thanks!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 3 wks post-op - Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:09:10 pm »
Kathy -

I didn't experience headaches, but I experienced tightness - sometimes I still do.  I could be wrong here, but I think it has something to do with the numbness of the head and the healing process.

The lumbar drain post op is something that not all docs do (mine didn't).  I believe the theory is they'll place it during your surgery in case you have a spinal fluid leak and/or in case you run into an infection.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Two of the most common symptoms of a CSF leak are clear fluid coming out of your incision or out of your nose. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:20:40 pm »
Kathy,

I think the tightness that you feel may be your neck muscles.  Your head is in a cocked and weird position during surgery and if you had a large AN (as you said) it's likely that your head was in that position for a LONG time.  My surgery lasted about 12 hours and I know exactly what weak neck muscles feel like.  Fortunately, with time it gets better and you can help things by putting on a warm compress, or getting a neck massage (if your doctor allows it).

I think Jan is right about the lumbar drain.. In addition, if there is a built up pressure due to CSF build-up (one of the effects of that is headaches, btw) then they can utilize the drain to relieve the pressure.  Think of CSF as fluid in a constantly moving stream of water inside of a circular hose..  Your body constantly absorbs and recreates CSF to keep the flow moving.. Well, what if you produce faster than it's absorbed?  The "hose" will build up pressure points and, in part, give you headaches..  As soon as your body settles in and stats absorbing / creating CSF on a more even keel, then you won't get those build ups.  At least, that's the way I understand it.  I am not a doctor and I don't play one on tv.

Being only 3 weeks post op for a "large AN" then I expect there to be some amount of "settling in" that your body is still having to do...  I also had a build-up of CSF (which caused some headaches) and my doctor put me on Diamox (a diruetic) to bring the pressure down.  Little did anyone know that I would have an allergic reaction to Diamox that landed me back in the hospital for 4 days at about 2 months post op.  So, I wouldn't suggest going the Diamox route just yet.. Try to control the headaches with OTC drugs and if there is any kind of swelling of CSF around the incision area, then you can try an ace bandage wrap around your head (like a headband of sorts) to keep pressure on the area, control the CSF production a little bit, and wait it out until the CSF production becomes on more of an even keel.

Definitely mention it to your doctor at your 1 month follow-up.  See what he thinks based on what you say, what he sees and what he knows about your particular case..

Good luck.. Recovery has it's ups and downs, as you're finding out.. Keep us updated on what the doctor says..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:10 pm »
Hi Kathy,
I had the tightness (was very bad), it got better for a while, now it is back but not as bad.  Part of the healing process I assume.  I am at 6+months and need to remind myself that these things  take a very long time to heal.  So, be patient (I"m not :D) and take it easy.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:27:44 am »
Thanks so much.  I can't wait til my followup appt!  In the meantime, I'll try harder to be patient and just let things heal a bit.  This is just such a slow process - you all just the best. 
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

MAlegant

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:25 pm »
It redefines slow.  Going backwards doesn't help either.   :o
Marci (still trying to be patient after all this time)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »
It redefines slow.

I often find myself laughing at your wit, then feeling guilty that I am laughing at your expense. You have been patient, it just doesn't seem like it to you. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

salamander

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 03:55:59 pm »
Sometimes I have had the tightness across my neck, and other times it wraps up around my head.  Whenever I get up and walk a few feet, I get a brain cramp and have to stand still waiting for it to release, which only takes a few seconds. 

For relief?  My heating pad and I are inseparable.  I use it before bed, upon waking, and when watching TV on the couch.  I have also found that getting up and moving helps to relieve the pain.  It feels like my security blanket.  Oh dear, what will I do if the power goes out??   :D

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »
yep, i also experienced this tight feeling around my neck and head - like brian said, it is the after effects of a very long surgery and your muscles are just sore and tense.  i do also experience a tight feeling on my operated area, and that feeling did not pass after 5-6 mths.  hang in there and recovery can sometimes be slow which tests our patience  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

MAlegant

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:29 am »
Right, I have been patient.  Now I'm just tired of being patient. And that's really just impatience, isn't it?  This morning is better all the way around.  I will enjoy that until it is over. And Steve, you should laugh at me, that's the point of having a sense of humor.
Marci

wcrimi

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:16 pm »
I have similar tightness at times, but nothing that really catches my attention. I also had some slight numbness in the operated area for awhile. I just assumed it was a healing issue. It seems to be going away.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move