Author Topic: Hearing and tinnitus 'upset'  (Read 2612 times)

Esperanza

Hearing and tinnitus 'upset'
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:41 am »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had their hearing/tinnitus upset by having ear wax removed from their good ear?
I am told there was quite build up which must have happened over a long period so I adjusted slowly to that but having it removed seems to have set
me back again with the tinnitus in my bad ear spiking and wooshing tinnitus in my good ear getting worse rather than better.   I just feel 'wrong' again in the hearing dept. and my balance is also a bit off - I am hoping it won't be too long before things settle down...   Is anyone else so sensitive to this kind of thing?
Thanks.
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Mickey

Re: Hearing and tinnitus 'upset'
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:20:46 am »
Tinnitus is a very sensitive problem. A cup of coffee, a drink, change of weather, tension, antibiotics, loud sounds, to name a few can cause a spike in noise. I`m sure that you may have had a change in something by removing your ear wax which may have spiked your level of noise. Usually it resumes back to your normal noise level within a short periodof time. Best wishes, Mickey

Dr. Dean

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:53 am »
Esperanza:

:( Tinnitus is something you get use to, it comes and goes in intensity with specific foods, heavy breathing, illness, etc.
I realize that this is a support site and that we all just want to know that we are normal (well, for an AN person, anyway), but I am the type of person that supports by suggesting things that can help you get results.

I measured the levels of my tinnitus at my last hearing exam and found that when it was low that it was around 40 db, when high it was 65 db (normal human conversation is usually 45 to 55 db).
You might use this scale (normal human conversation level) as a guide as to whether what you are doing is increasing or decreasing your tinnitus.
Once known, avoid those foods, situations, etc., as much as possible.
My approach is to get through that period and ignore it as much as possible
I also find that I need to concentrate more on what others are saying by look at them and watching their face.

I have also found (over the past 8 years) that as my balance decreases, my tinnitus increases.
I resolve my balance problem with an exercise program that you can find at http://www.personalityfinesse.com/pdfshow.php?pdf=12; my tinnitus gradually decreases within days of the exercises.

:) But again, the best way to deal with tinnitus is to not give it your power, don't let it become an issue that angers or saddens you, just ignore it and compensate for it as needed.

I hope that this helps in the long run,

Dean

Esperanza

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:07:01 am »
Thanks for the replies... I am nearly two years in with the T - I know it is rarely affected by my mood or diet other than dehydration. I am ok with the odd cup of coffee but that's probably because I drink a lot of water  :)   It is definately loud environmental noise which spikes up my tinnitus and I am obviously going to have to watch that I don't get a build up of ear wax in the future to have to deal with.   I think leave well alone is the safest bet for me.  I have been recommended an olive oil pump spray designed just for ears which I will use as a preventative measure.  Thanks for the suggestion of the exercises I will take a look.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:11:49 am by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????