Author Topic: Small ANers ... why did you decide what you did?  (Read 4956 times)

LADavid

Re: Small ANers ... why did you decide what you did?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:37 pm »
Here's one you won't hear often -- timing with the Writer's Strike.  As an actor, I couldn't afford to be out of work for any extended time -- unless there was no work to miss.  Which would happen while the writers were on strike beginning in 12/07 and going through about 2/08 -- the theoretical period of my recovery.  I was taking advantage of what I thought to be a perfect time to have surgery.  It may have never happened again.  Quite a different view in hindsight.  I had a 1.5 cm thing -- I wanted to know it was out, I was nearly deaf on the AN side so losing my hearing wasn't an issue, so I opted for a Translab.  That's what I did.

In your case, I would w/w keeping a close eye on it, take care of your children, work it all out so it wasn't a financial hardship.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

suboo73

Re: Small ANers ... why did you decide what you did?
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 07:38:14 pm »
Thought i would give you another perspective, even though i am on W & W....  I was diagnosed in Oct. 2008, but have been losing my hearing for at least 12 years, maybe a little longer.  So, i would have been about your age when i first noticed hearing loss.  Since i can only guess that my hearing loss is due to the AN, i have been in this mode for awhile now - but could never explain it until now. (And i was somewhat relieved when i could give it a name!)    BTW- i would not have gone to the doctor this year, had my sister not been diagnosed 6 months ago! 

I immediately told my ENT i would W & W.  But, after a second opinion, i decided it is important to learn all i can and do research, as well as visit a surgeon and radiologist in early 2009.  This is just to be prepared, to know my options, if and when i need them.

My AN is slightly larger than yours, but i have no idea how long it has been that size, or how fast it might be growing.  Since i can only go forward, i decided to try to be prepared. 

I believe you have time to do research and learn all you can.  With having little ones, if you decide on any treatment now or in the future, extra help and good planning could help make things go more smoothly after treatment.

I am so glad you asked this question!  I am very thankful to all of those here on the forum - i have learned so much and continue to read as much as i can. 

Take care.

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W