Author Topic: Mid-fossa post-surgical scarring?  (Read 8899 times)

Girlfriend

Mid-fossa post-surgical scarring?
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:17:47 am »
HI all,

Partner and I still researching our options (partner has small AN, minimal symptoms, diagnosed at U of IA, going to Mayo for second opinion).  As always, this is the the best resource around.  I'm wondering...how much scarring is there post-surgery with the mid-fossa approach?  Just wondering what to expect.

Girlfriend

Re: Mid-fossa post-surgical scarring?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:11:52 pm »
Me again--let me clarify--I'm inquiring about facial scarring.  Not the most important aspect of decision-making, but rather about being prepared about what will follow surgery....

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:16:51 pm »
Not meaning to scare anyone, but this topic, http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8023.0, which initially asked about how much hair is shaved, turned into a gallery of surgical scars. They are all different, even with the same procedure.

It is worth noting that almost everyone I have seen mention it has said that the surgical scar heals up well, and that it is not noticeable to anyone. I think there is stuff you can put on it to make sure it heals nice. They are usually hidden by hair almost from the beginning (unless you shave your head like Pooter does).

AN surgery would not normally involve any scars on the face itself. Those could come in if you later had some kind of facial surgery, to address a facial nerve issue, if you wound up with one. Again, they can also be coaxed into healing up very well.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »
Girlfriend~
I don't know of ANY Acoustic Neuroma surgery that causes any type of scarring on your face.  Like Steve said, some of the surgeries to repair some things caused by the AN surgery can leave scars, but that is way down the line.  I had the 12/7 but the scar for that is in a crease in my neck and not visible AT ALL unless I point it out.  I just had the T3 last March and the scar from it is in the "smile line" - it is a BIT more noticeable, but not really either.  They are so good these days at Plastics that I wouldn't even worry at all about that!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »
Hi Girlfriend,

Did partner see Gantz at U of IA? He's one of the best.  :D I had mid-fossa surgery at U of IA last Aug. I was going to go to Mayo to get their take on GK, but after talking to Gantz, made my decision to have the surgery.

If you have any questions about U of IA or drs. there feel free to send me a Personal Message.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:43:11 pm »
Oh - and no facial scars. And my hair covers up any incisions that were made.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:07:29 pm »
No facial scars here (I had retrosigmoid, not very different) and my surgery scar has disappeared.  I used scar butter on it and massaged for a few minutes every day.  Hope this helps.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Girlfriend

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:26 am »
Thanks everyone, for your responses.  The archived post-surgery photos are not scary (to me, anyway); it really helps in making the unknown more knowable.  As always, this site is the best!

vcschaub

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:29 pm »
This is my middle fossa scar, 3 days after surgery. The scar is not on the face and my hair covered it nicely.

[/quote]
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:09 pm »
Hey, Girlfriend,  I just wanted to share with you that Cathy (Dog Lover) is right.  It doesn't get much better than Dr. Bruce Gantz from University of Iowa.  I didn't have the Mid Fossa like Cathy, I had a Translab. in October of 2008.  My scarring is very minimal.  They are very talented at U of Iowa.  Talk to Cathy. She helped me through my recovery time.

Good luck.
SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:49 pm »
Somehow I missed the thread with all the pics or I would have joined in on the fun!  I can tell you that my retrosigmoid scar seems to be much smaller than the ones shown.  I think I got the better end of the deal in that regard, however I keep my head shaved basically so my scar really shows.  I don't mind, though, because I wear it as a badge of honor. ;)

Not to side track, but do other people have a boney thing that sticks up higher than the rest of the area near the bottom of the incision?  My doctor even commented on it when I saw him last.  Not that there's anything short of going back into surgery and having removed, but I was just curious if I was the only one..

Others are right in that there should be no facial scarring to expect; only the incision behind the ear (somewhat) which is covered up nicely with longer hair (not super short like mine)..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:01:46 pm »
I don't have anything that sticks up, but I still have a dent in my head from where they cut into my head. I asked the doc about it last week when I went in for my  5 month post-op check. She said it was bone and it would fill in.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »
I have a "dent" in my head also (still waiting for it to "fill in" if that happens at all), but by the "dent" is a boney area that sticks up a little.. I, obviously, can't see it unless using a mirror, but it's VERY noticeable to the touch and I think it's huge based on that.  I don't think it's very big in reality.  It's not really a problem, so I was just curious more than anything.

Thanks for the response!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
Yes, have the bony thing but it seems to be getting better, or rather, smaller.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »
I'm having retrosigmoid.  If I'm going through with this surgery, I want a scar to show for it!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.