Author Topic: ENT suggested CROS-any experiences?  (Read 6418 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ENT suggested CROS-any experiences?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 10:09:49 pm »
K -

If I remember correctly Boppie is from Texas, and she has a TransEar.  Have you asked her where she got hers?  I realize Texas is a huge state, but maybe her audiologist would be a possibility for you.  Just a thought.

Debbi  - or undecided (whichever name you're currently going by  ;) ) - if you are seriously revisiting the BAHA, I'd ask your doc about the demo.  It's very impressive and as close to hands on as you can get without actually having the implant in your skull.  Up until I tried the demo I was a little uncertain if it would be worth it to get a BAHA, but the demo convinced me that it would be.

Catherine -

I'm with you.  I also find it a little odd that a doctor would recommend a SSD 20-year old wait 10-15 years to consider something like a BAHA - or whatever the latest technology is at that point.  One of the reasons I opted for the BAHA was that I decided at the age of 46 I was just too young to live my life being SSD; I figured if I was in my 60s it would be more acceptable.   I can't even imagine what I'd have thought if I was 20   ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

RosemaryL

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 05:15:02 pm »
I wore cross aids for about a year - the kind that have a wire connecting them.  Since I worked in an environment filled with RF signals, I couldn't use the wireless kind..  I could hear sounds from all directions, but I couldn't tell which direction they came from.  In a quiet environment, the aids were a help.  In a noisy environment, they were useless - I think our brains must use sound direction to help us ignore all but the one signal we want to hear.  BTW I stopped wearing them when I had to start wearing glasses most of the time - all that plastic behind my ear pressed into my skull giving me headaches.  Since I have to have the glasses and I can function without the aids, I gave up the aids.

Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

Boppie

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:31 pm »
Yes, I purchsed and was fitted by an andiologist here in Victoria Texas, about 115 miles from Houston.  The business is Victoria  ENT and Hearing Associates.  The ENT who would certify for you is Dr. Sage, and the audiologist is Dean.  Dean's Associate (the lady who fit me) has moved to San Antonio.  Dean is a very caring and patient audiologist.  I can list a phone number if you PM me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:48:23 pm by Boppie »