Author Topic: Four Week Check-Up  (Read 2620 times)

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
Four Week Check-Up
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:09:11 pm »
Can anyone tell me what to expect at the four week check-up after surgery?  I know that I am doing an MRI though I am not certain what they are looking for at this point.  SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

jazzfunkanne

Re: Four Week Check-Up
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:16:43 am »
i didnt get my ist check up till about 4 months post op (uk), he looked in my AN side ear to check it wasent leaking, touched around my wound, then sent me too get my eye checked, he checked my faical movments and decided i needed a gold weight in my eye which i got a month later, he also arranged a 6 month follow up scan.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:02:57 am by jazzfunkanne »
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:14:32 am »
Sue, I'm a couple of months ahead of you as I had my surgery in August. At the 4 week visit, my doc just checked balance and facial movement and wanted to know if I was having any problems. He then ordered an MRI for a month later(8 weeks postop).....this MRI he said looked ok, but the main purpose of the MRI is that he would use this one as the baseline going forward to look for changes and to make sure there's no re-growth. I go for another checkup in January. I suspect I'll do another MRI later next year sometime.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:21 am »
Hello Sue.      The resident or the fellow will come talk to you and ask how it is going.      You can ask any questions about things.            They will look in your ear for fluid and at the incision.     Gantz will come in and look at the face and the ear and ask how the balance is and the hearing.  Ask again any questions you have.                 They will tell you the MRI report.            Make a list of any questions you have as is easy to forget them.                 They will see you in 6 mos if no big facial paralysis.       I went back in 3 when it had it.              There is always the long wait at UIHC.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:20:09 am »
The post op MRI is just to see how it looks after surgery so when they do one in the future can look for growth or any changes.                     Probably will do the MRI again then in a year.
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:25:46 am »
Forgot to add they will do an audiogram.      You want want to ask about it when you go back to Gantzs area if the front area doesn't mention it so is done when you see the drs.
                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:53 am »
Sue:

As you can, the exact routine of the follow-up exam may vary from doctor to doctor.  I had a 'mini' neurological exam ("follow my finger"), the surgeon looked carefully at my face (for symmetry), checked my balance ("walk heel-to-toe") and asked a lot of questions about my ability to smile, swallow, sleep, headaches, etc.  I had few complications so most of the questions were easily answered 'no'.  He asked if I had any questions for him (a few).  I had so many MRI scans that I can't recall if my 4-week visit entailed another, but it's possible.  My neurosurgeon was extremely thorough.  As I stated, your experience may vary but the exam should be fairly routine. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 02:50:45 pm »
Sue,
I went for my post-op follow up 10 days after surgery, when I got my staples removed. I'm due for another appt in a wk, which will be my 5-month mark. My 1st post-op MRI is scheduled for Dec. at the 6-mo mark.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 04:56:17 pm »
Hi y'all,
   I had a CT and MRI right out of surgery, 2 weeks later had my stitches out and now today I had my 3 months MRI and surgeon appt.  I couldn't see my ENT to talk about balance issues and the Baha because one of the doctors had a motorcycle accident so my doctor is taking the slack.  My appt with my neurosurgeon was great.  He felt I was doing real good, my MRI show that all the tumor was taken out.  I'm please to say I don't need another MRI till next year........YEAAH!!!!!!   ;D
     Like everyone has said, everyone is different.... 
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!