Author Topic: Middle Fossa Update  (Read 1893 times)

Karissa

Middle Fossa Update
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:46:27 am »
I just wanted to give you all an update on myself! As some of you know, I had my Acoustic Neuroma removed just over 1 year ago on December 17, 2004 at the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles by Dr. Rick Friedman and Dr. Wm Hitselberger. My tumor was 4-5mm and my surgery was the middle fossa.

I recently had my one year follow up hearing test and MRI and the news is great! My hearing test showed that I have lost about 10 decibels in the mid to high tones, but my hearing was totally normal before surgery, that that just puts me in the “mild hearing lossâ€? category. I can hardly even notice it! And for the even better news….Dr. Friedman told me that my MRI turned out “crystal clearâ€? and that I would need to repeat my hearing test in one year and repeat the MRI in 4 years!

I am a nursing student, I work part time, I work out 3-4 days a week, I dance, and I was able to water ski and wake board this summer….I am telling you all this so that you know people can still live normal lives after having the surgery!!  Good luck to all of you in your journeys!

If anyone has any questions for me I would be happy to answer them for you. karissashields@cox.net

Karissa Shields

cookiesecond

Re: Middle Fossa Update
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 11:14:20 am »
Karissa,
Thank you so much for sharing your good news.We NEED to hear good reports!!!
Take care and keep in touch,
Lynn

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Middle Fossa Update
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:59:46 pm »
Karissa,

Thats terrific news. Without wanting to put a dampener on your current buzz, I would suggest that you have annual MRI's. I had MF on my AN 3.5 years ago and I insisted on annual MRI's - peace of mind. 6 months ago it showed up again even after the surgeon told me that he "go it all out". This was a lie as i later found out. They didn't remove some of the bits that were on the nerve - calling it the crust of the tumor. I am currently in the watch and wait mode as the re-growth is still small enough.

Everyone is different and enjoy your successful outcome.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz