Author Topic: Swelling and Tenderness of Incision with Associated Headache  (Read 1749 times)

Kenn

Swelling and Tenderness of Incision with Associated Headache
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:28:31 pm »
Hi, This is my first post.  Prior to my surgery (translab at House in Sept 2006) I scoured the forum for information.  It helped immensely.  Thanks.  Everything has gone very well and I am now 2 years post surgery.  However, within the last week I noticed that I was getting some very mild spasm-like movements in my affected (left) eye.  Nothing significant and only lasting a few seconds.  It has probably happened about three or four times, and probably not for about the last three or four days.  This was followed by an increase in the amount of tenderness at the incision site.  It has always been a little tender.  The tenderness/pain has elevated over the last three days to the point that I have to take Tylenol every four hours to minimize the associated headache.  Also, I have to be very creative in order to sleep because I have to position  my head perfectly to avoid pain (even with the Tylenol).  Although I have managed to get some sleep the last couple of days, any wrong movement or lapsing of the Tylenol dose will wake me up.  Being vertical is fine as long as I am on schedule with the Tylenol.  I have an appointment with my GP in two days (for other issues) at which time I will discuss it.  However, I was wondering if anyone else has had an onset of this type or other side effect so long after surgery.

Thanks,

Ken

Translab - HEI 9/26/06 for 2cm Tumor
Dr. De la Cruz and Dr. Hitselberger
Excellent Results - Minor taste issues and barely noticeable eye issues.  Left side deafness of course.  It was all but gone anyway.

Kenn

Re: Swelling and Tenderness of Incision with Associated Headache
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »
I forgot . . My ear is sticking out sort of elephant-like.
Excellent Results - Minor taste issues and barely noticeable eye issues.  Left side deafness of course.  It was all but gone anyway.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:53:45 pm »
Hi Ken,

Welcome back to the forum.

I think I would be planning a phone call to Dr. De la Cruz pretty soon. The symptoms seem significant enough to me, and the tenderness and elephant ear effect suggest that something is not quite right. Your GP may not have had enough experience with ANs and brain surgery to give you a definitive answer. Another option might be an ENT where you live. Some members have had chronic headache symptoms several years after surgery, although I think most have them the whole time.

Hope you can get some answers and help soon.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »
Hi, Ken:

Welcome back - but I wish it were under more positive circumstances.  :(

I have to think your flare-up of tenderness at the incision site as well as the eye spasms are somewhat unusual, two years post-op.  I agree with my fellow moderator, the ever-astute Steve, that a phone call or e-mail to your surgeon referencing these issues may be in order.  This sudden pain you're having seems to be an indication that something may be amiss.  The intermittent eye twitching may simply be a manifestation of the nerves continuing to heal but you need a physician that understands AN issues to verify any of these suppositions.  I also urge you to contact Dr. De la Cruz ASAP. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kenn

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:14:20 pm »
Thanks Jim and Steve.  I expect that I'll be seeing Dr. de la Cruz soon.  I'm looking forward to my visit with my GP tomorrow.  I value his opinion.  I hope to be able to use him as a sort of an urgency barometer.  This all started ever so mildly less than a week ago.  Unfortunately, it progressed rather quickly.

Ken

Kenn

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:37:53 pm »
Turned out to be an infection in the incision scar and fat closure with some bone involvement.  No intrusion to the inside.  Very doubtful that it was related to the original surgery as it had been 2 years ago (almost to the day).  Required some surgery.  Once again wonderful treatment from the House Clinic and St. Vincents Hospital.  Back on my feet and working very quickly.  Just have to re-grow the hair above my left ear again and wear an antibiotic IV for 6 weeks.  A minor inconvenience.  Thanks again Jim and Steve for your input.

Ken

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:17:47 am »
Hi Ken why did that happend two years down the line did the doctors say? i am also nearly two years post op.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Kenn

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 07:14:02 am »
Hi Jazzfunkanne,

They didn't say.  They said that they had never seen something like this so far out from surgery.  When I first went in to see my primary doctor (an internal medicine physician), I asked about the cause.  He said that scar tissue never gets back to the original condition.  He said that a bacteria could coincidentally make its way to the area.  However, he added that there is not any medical support for such a theory.  I have had a lot of dental work, and one tooth in the general area had been sensitive about a month before the flare up.  However, since it did not persist, I never went to the dentilst.  I actually had to put off some dental implant procedures because of the infection.  I may find that that tooth had/has an abscess.  I will update you when I get more information.  In any case, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I see you had quit a large tumor.  How did your surgery go?  How are you doing?

Ken

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:19:50 am »
Hi Ken, my surgery was in two stages, one to removed the hearing and balance nerves, the second  staged was to remove the tumour they were done two weeks apart, they knew it would take a long time to remove the tumour thats why they did it in two stadges, it took 19 hours all in.
I was left with grade 6 facial palsy which is improving, i am still not back at work, my previous job gave me redundancy as my job had changed while i was off sick lol (and that a GP practice ), i will take my time as your health comes first. Hope you are doing well
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06