Author Topic: surgery 11/10/05  (Read 3668 times)

Jasonc

surgery 11/10/05
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:06:20 pm »
hi.,

im new here., though been reading the board the last several weeks., im a 27yr old male who had surgery at the university of virgina medical center on 11/10/05, things went well was home 11/15/05., now preparing to go back to work....i cant hear well from my left ear., and i tend not to use myleft arm. the experience will truely change your life

Jasonc

Re: surgery 11/10/05
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 11:17:38 pm »
i have a question....

how long does the balance problems last..i can walk etc., but going up - and down stairs is a nightmare

JHager

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:25:24 pm »
Hey Jason,

I had surgery a few days before you!  It does take some getting used to, all these fascinating side effects.

The best thing I can say about the balance is this: it gets better!  (At least, it did for me!)

I've found that activies that push you, like the first time I went for a run, can make you feel very unsteady.  But I also feel that it forces my balance sense to recover even stronger.  Another example: The first time I played golf after surgery (just last week), I would swing, then 'freeze' for a moment and recover my balance.  Weird feeling.  But, the next time I was swinging a club, it felt just like old time.  Sadly, so does my score...  ;)

Patience is never going to be one of my strong suits, but I found that, given time, the balance will get better.  Hope it does for you, too!

Good luck going back to work - get your rest!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Jasonc

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:35:23 pm »
Thanks josh

i have found., that i dont bounce off the walls too much anymore, my problem are getting up too fast or taking large steps
im in phys therp 3x a week..i walk really spread out

also i tend not to use my left hand/arm anymore., i can move it., but i dont do nothing with it i just keep it close to me ..i hope this is another side effect that goes away

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 11:50:09 am »
Jason, I trust that you can get that arm to move and do something.  Can you challenge it to do some work for you? 

stein78

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 01:15:06 pm »
Glad to read that things went well for you.  I am also 27 (and a Jason too  8)) and had AN surgery last May.  Give your body some time to adjust, youth is on your side.  I agree with challenging yourself, it will accelerate the process.  You are on the money, this whole ordeal sure does change your life.  Some days I miss the old me, but I look at life differently now and am a much stronger person because of this.  Best lof luck and I am sure you will continue to improve.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

RadiantStar

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 01:55:07 pm »
Balance seems to get better as the days/weeks progress.  Walking outdoors on different terrain, and walking on a treadmill here at home has been really helpful for me.  (surgery was on 11/28/05)

I agree, that some of the "fascinating effects" are both challenging and at the same time comical.  The first time I whistled for my dogs and found that nothing but a woosh-woosh sound came out,( cracked me up).  Finding out what little and sometimes big things we take for granted has been an eye-opener (parden my pun). ::)

Pysically and emotionally, it is a day by day journey, challenge yourself in ways that make sense to you, and build on that experience.

Good luck, and speedy recovery
Kathleen

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 03:12:20 pm »
Jasonc ,
   Your mention your arm .. is it that you seem uncoordinated with it? I had a mini stroke with my op .. and seemed to lose all coordination with my right hand (I'm right handed!) .. simple things like shaving,typing, and writing my name all seemed hard (my writting looked like child), like I had two left hands ... This does NOT go away on its own ... but with just a little practice. I had OT (occupational therapy) about a month and it all came back to me... The point I'm trying to make is you need to use your arm .. its does not need to be fancy exercises ... but you need to use it like before, other wise it will allways be uncoordinated.....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »
Jasonc,

I also had some problems with the arm (and leg) on my left side which was the tumor side.  My surgery was 9-6-05.  I kept using it as I would have normally and slowly over time it is coming back.  I would say it's at about 90 percent now.  I found that typing on the computer is a good way to practice.   If you want it to improve you will need to use it. 

Balance on the stairs should come back.  A railing really helps in the beginning.  Now I can run up the stairs.  I think I'm being so cool.  Amazing what little things can thrill us now.  lol

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Jasonc

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 07:14:57 pm »
thanks for all the replies.,

im right handed., so i never used my left hand much before., i think thats my biggest problem

im in physical therp now, day by day is how i live now., you appreciate each day

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 08:00:50 pm »
Jason, a simple act like making the left arm swing in alternating sync with the right as you walk (like a soldier), can improve balance.   

We take the "other side" for granted as we grow up.  Did you ever watch little kids skip?  The P.E. teacher wants them to learn to skip with both legs and arms swinging.  This is really easy for kids, but we adults take it for granted.  Since you are relearning some balance, it is important to regain whole body synchronization. 

The brain will accept the pattern and take over for you if you push it.  You really do have a great advantage because you are young.   And you will be older and more mature than your years for having overcome these issues.  Please keep us up to date on your progress. 

Jasonc

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 08:14:36 pm »
i did return to work today., went exceptionally well....very pleased. i find if i stay busy., that i dont get as tired

i appreciate all the encouragement and support