Author Topic: confusion and difficulty concentrating after surgery  (Read 2968 times)

kelsi

confusion and difficulty concentrating after surgery
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:12:01 pm »
One complication of surgery my SO encountered that I don't remember reading about is the effect of the removal of vestibular nerves on concentration such as reading or figuring out math and just getting confused about right and left. Any comments? Any optimistic experience and progress? He had surgery July 1. I also am surprised that he still has as much pain as he has and dr. only gives Advil now.
kelsi

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: confusion and difficulty concentrating after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:23:09 pm »
Kelsi -

there have been several posts on the forum about concentration issues, mixing up words, etc.  It seems this issue is fairly common, although some feel it's not related to AN surgery.  Did you try a search?

Also, I'm not one who had pain post op, but I do know that not all over-the-counter pain meds work the same for all people.  My neurotologist once told me that if Tylenol or Advil didn't work for pain to try Alleve.  Your SO might want to try another over-the-counter pain reliever and if that doesn't work, he might want to consult his doctor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:49:53 am »
Prior to my surgery I spoke with someone that had AN surgery about 15 years ago. He said for a while, (I don't remember how long) that he could not think of a word that he would be trying to say. He also had some slight memory issues and so did I. The good news is that it all resolved. Best wishes.  :)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:56:12 am »
Hi kelsi,
  I agree with sabuck, things do get better.  At only three weeks post surgery, the brain is working overtime trying to learn how to deal with the changed vestibular input.  Vestibular processing, like a lot of brain processing, is not conscious processing, so it's not obvious that there is a lot more going on than normal.  But the brain is doing a lot of extra processing for a while to compensate for losing one vestibular input.  This is also one of the reasons that AN patients can become fatigued so easily in the first several weeks after surgery.  Give it some time.  Your SO will be amazed how much better they will feel after 6 weeks compared to 3 weeks.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW