Author Topic: Can we talk about tiny ANs here?  (Read 4723 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Can we talk about tiny ANs here?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »
Wow, thornapple -

this sounds like something that is very difficult to cope with and I am so sorry you are having to do through this.  I never realized before how "lucky" I was to have options like radiation and surgery.

I don't blame you at all for being incredibly annoyed with the physician's assistant - I'd be very surprised if you weren't.

I hope your situation improves with time and like, Jim, I will pray that your pain and discomfort levels lessen.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 10:11:57 pm »
Thornapple:

If anyone has a reason to grouchy/grumpy/crabby/cranky or just in a bad mood sometimes, you certainly do.  Pain and gargantuan-sized tinnitus has to be exasperating and difficult to handle.  That you do, daily, is a testament to your spirit and grit.

Your situation is obviously doubly exasperating because you suffer the effects of the tumor and cannot obtain the relief of treatment. 

The P.A.'s tactless comment was as ignorant as it was insensitive.  Coping with severe discomfort and being oblivious to it are two vastly different things.  How these kinds of people get into the medical profession and survive, seemingly without a modicum of sensitivity for suffering patients, is a mystery.  However, thoughtless dolts like that can't keep us down, can they?  But they sure can irritate us for awhile.

I'm very sorry for your pain and discomfort and I pray that it will lessen somewhat in time.

Jim

It is hard for people to be sympathetic to what you have experience because they have not gone through the same thing.

I am so sorry you’ve have to go through all what you are going through. My prayers are with you.
eve

ROCKYB

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:53 am »
My was 5mm I just had CK at Stanford. I am in the medical field its best to treat things in the early stages. If I was 80 years old I would watch and wait. I did it its over and I can move on with my life I dont want to think about this AN anymore. What ever happens with my hearing I know I hit my AN at its smallest stage giving me the best chance. Small or big who cares it a tumor in your head get rid of it and enjoy your life. I was in the cancer center for my treatment and I felt very very lucky that all I had was an AN.

claire1

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
Nancy
I have AN bilaterally=NF2. 
Yeh, I have hearing loss in both ears and will be deaf soon  BUT they have hearing apparatisis that can help (i.e. BAHA,hearing aids etc.)
Yeh ,My balance is screwed up BUT there is vestibular therapy that retrains your brain to function and adjust. May not be at the level your use to but you also have to readjust your life as if you get married or have a baby or get a new job.
Yeh, vertigo is a real problem BUT with medication and balance training even that may/will deminish.
If you look for things to go wrong before you even start, it will
If you look for things to inprove your situation, you will
FOR WHAT EVER HAPPENS, THERE"S A REASON
AND FOR EVERY REASON THERE"S AN ATERNATIVE COURSE OF ACTIONS

Stay the course and "FOCUS" on the primary purpose of this journey=TO KILL THE TUMOR
Stay well and take care
Claire

thornapple

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 06:12:33 am »
I guess the bottom line is....keep busy, find other things to think about.  Focusing on it just gets you all riled up for no purpose at all>>>I mean, what can YOU do about it? Nada, except making sure you have good docs. Just keep as healthy and upbeat and busy as you possibly can. THERE'S A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE. Go have a ball. Get filled up. Love and be loved. Play. Work. Live.

On the other hand, physician's assistants may not have gone through what their patients are going through---but they can learn how to behave professionally. Telling an ill person they are "used to it" is not. ("Yeah, I'm dying of cancer, but I'm used to it...." "Had migraines my whole life, pain and vomiting, so I'm used to it...."  not a good examples, but gee whiz!The same thing, isn't it?). At least they could PRETEND to be professional...sheesh.  Hey, if I can fake it, so can they. I pretend not to be suffering every single day!

Claire, your are an inspiration! Thanks for your helpful words.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:18:40 am by thornapple »

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 06:18:37 am »
Claire - you ARE an inspiration and a shining example of what life is like if you look for the "lemonaide".  I share your philosoph 100%!

Debbi - making lemonaide
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

claire1

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 09:46:32 pm »
Still and will always be making the lemonaid.....C(_)
Claire *)

marg

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:05:36 pm »
Great words from so many of you ..... it is true - we adjust to what we have now - and many parts of life are still good.... and boy, are we better off than many others with worse things they have to deal with.  I am grateful for what I have.
     marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !