Author Topic: Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go!  (Read 2497 times)

oHIo

Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go!
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:59:58 am »
Actually I returned to work this week, nine weeks post op after translab surgery with multiple complications.  I worked my 10 hour shifts (I'm a nurse, so no sitting for me) and did quite well along with my hour commute each way to and from work.  Out of this whole experience, I think driving again (which I just started last week) was the scariest.  With my eye sewn mostly shut and newly deaf, I didn't know how it would go.  It was just like riding a bike (okay, pre-AN  ;) ).

My facial nerve functioning has improved from a 6/6 the day after surgery to a 4/6.  I will start facial nerve rehab when my therapist returns from vacation.

I plan to get a Baha this fall.  SSD is challenging some days and I'm tired of saying, "what"? 

No one believes that I had brain surgery with so many complications and look (and feel) this good.  They just don't know how tough us ANers are  ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:12:15 am »
oHIo -

It's great to hear from you.  Congratulations on the back to work milestone!

It sounds like you have had a few challenges, but you are definitely prevailing.  Good for you  :)

Your facial nerve function sounds like it's moving in the right direction and the therapist will help facilitate that even further.

I hated being SSD deaf too, so I can understand your plans for a BAHA.  If you have questions, just shout (I don't get my processor until next week LOL)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:03 am »
Hi oHIo,
  If you've returned to working 10 hour days, and you weren't completely whipped this first week, you're doing great!   :)
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:22:41 am »
OHio - 

You're amazing!  Can't believe you are working 10 hour shifts - the thought of that causes me to nap!  And an hour-long commute - whew...  And I was feeling good because I drove 15 minutes this morning!  Seriously, it is incredible that you are back to work so soon after having such complications.  I guess I don't need to say - take it easy!

Wishing you all the best and continued good recovery.

Debbi - behind the wheel...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

oHIo

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:40:56 am »
Jan...I was thinking of you this morning when I looked at my calendar.  The processor date is coming up soon!  I am excited for you.  My doc won't give me my processor for 3-6 months and like yours, he keeps it at his office so no one will cheat.

Rob...I was actually so happy to return to work that I had difficulty sleeping!

Debbi...sounds like you are doing great also after a "minor" bump in the road.  (After AN surgery, everything is minor  ;D )  I was amazed this morning when I read you were headed back today for a meeting and driving.  Hang in there, things will get better.

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:56:28 am »
Yes, Debbie, both you and your Mom are two tough birds.  ;)  I am so happy for you.  Getting back to our work, whatever type it might be, is so important to feeling normal again.

er

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
Wow!
I went back to work @ 3 weeks with doctors permission, and only 4 hour shifts. 8 hours would be to much for me. I needed that rest time. Congratulations on your recovery but do take it easy.
"They just don't know how tough us ANers are " Your right on your comment
eve 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:13:02 pm »
oHio:

Just popping in to offer add my congratulations to all the others.  You're certainly having a fine recovery, even with a few complications, and this is encouraging to all who frequent this forum.  Working a physically demanding job for 10 hours and a one hour commute, too, is very impressive for just nine weeks post-op.  I'm so pleased and happy for you.  I believe your desire to return to work was motivation for you - and something I always encourage and admire.  Thanks for sharing your progress with us.  Its appreciated.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:39:20 pm »
 :o  WOW!
Way to go!
 ;D

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:46:14 pm »
oHIo -

I am very excited also!  Getting my processor will be a major milestone for me in the "war against SSD".  I just hope I haven't set my sights too high and find myself disappointed.  I don't think that will be the case at all, but maybe I should reign myself in slightly  :D

Sounds like our docs are both very smart men - either that, or they just don't trust us LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cmp

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:37:56 pm »
Wow, a 10 hour shift (with substantial commute) is taxing enough to begin with--and you're only a bit over 2 months post op! Very very impressive, and I'm so glad to hear it went well for you!

Here's to continued good health, and hope you enjoy being back in the swing of things!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!