Author Topic: Hello Everyone! 1 year update  (Read 2410 times)

Samantha n Adrian

Hello Everyone! 1 year update
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:00:52 pm »
Hi Everyone :-\ (Crooked AN Smile :D)!  Wow…hard to believe its now been more than a year.  9/6/08 was my year mark and I definitely had a few days of reflection.  Everything is going great with recovery.  I could not ask for better progress.  Yeah…there are a few issues, but overall I couldn’t ask for more.  I want to post the issues as a means of info for newbies, or even posties.  First…to the Newbies…I have to say this…You are in the absolute best place for information, comfort, compassion, and brother/sisterhood!  I can honestly say because Sam found this site, and posted our story, we acquired so much great information that we were able to arm ourselves and move forward.  I credit my wonderful outcome to this site as equally as to my great team of highly skilled surgeons.  Thank you Everybody! 

Ok…so I digress…back on point.  Issues:
•   When I eat or drink my right eye starts to tear to the point of tears rolling down my cheek, and my right nostril drips…yes ANnoying, but livable.
•   I get a “tickleâ€? in my throat when I drink and sometimes when I eat.  Vinegar always set it off and at times hot coffee does as well.  Again…ANnoying, but livable.
•   Short term memory sucks.  ANnoying, but livable.

Ok…now what’s good:
•   The “foggy brainâ€? is gone!
•   Headaches are gone!
•   Because the hearing is gone in my right ear, I make sure Sam is on my right side when we fight and I can’t understand a thing she says :o…Love You Babe ;D!
•   My Balance is great!
•   My face is probably 65% normal…yes I understand that normal is a relative term in this case :-\.
•   When everyone in the house is loud and I want to go to sleep, I just lay on my good ear and I can find some peace and quiet 8).
•   When I do or say something stupid, I can always pull out my brain surgery card :P!

Ok…I’m trying to be funny, but in all seriousness, life is good!  Steve, thanks for getting me off my lazy butt and writing a post.  I truly wanted to do it on my ANniversary date, but as always, something else gets in the way.  I have “snuckâ€? in and read posts from time to time.  I’m always surprised by all the newbies and by some of the “horrorâ€? stories.  My heart goes out to them.  I look back on this entire AN experience with the fondest of memories and I feel privileged to be a part of this “clubâ€?.  I know that may sound silly to some, but it’s so true.  There are so many people who would love to wear my AN shoes.  I know I’m one of the lucky ones.  I hope all is well with everyone.  I’m going to try to not be such a stranger.  Please drop us a line.  Sam & I would love to hear from everyone!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Hello Everyone! 1 year update
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:20:21 pm »
Great to hear from ya. I'm glad all is well. Sam sounds like a great girl. Shes a keeper!!!! ;)
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:57:07 pm »
Good Grief, has it been a year already! :o   

So glad all is going well, or at least "livable" for you.  Thanks for the update.  Continued best wishes to you both.

Sue in vANcouver!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »
Adrian - it's good to hear from you!  I'm glad you're doing well and I know all the newcomers to the forum will be pleased to see that there is life after AN!

I do the same thing with positioning towards the deaf ear, but it's usually one of my kids!  They don't notice if I just nod my head and say "oh, yeah" every now and then!

Happy Belated ANniversary!  And many, many more!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:52:23 pm »
Wow, Adrian!  It's been a year already  ???  Seems like yesterday - at least to me  ;)

Glad to hear you are doing so well.  If you ever decide you just can't live with the SSD, I highly recommend the BAHA - it's amazing.

Say hi to Sam for us  ;D

Don't be a stranger,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:37:16 am »
Glad to hear you are doing well...

I also turn my good ear to a pillow or stick a finger in it to tune  out...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 05:39:20 am »
Hey Adrian and Sam!!!!! Great to see you posting and OMG... it's already a year? WOW!!!!!!!!! Honestly... it feels like yesterday (where does time fly when.... heck, you know how the rest of it goes!)

Thank you SOOOOO very much for this update.  You know I send continued wishes for wellness, a few healing hugglez to help the cause... .and honestly, I'm tickled to hear things are coming along.  Please don't be such a stranger as your words can help so many others on the same path.....

And Sam... you're doing a great job keeping Adrian in line!  :o  ;)

Wellness wishes Adrian... and Sam.... you just rawk! :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:11:48 am »
Adrian:

Thanks for the great, informative post and congratulations on your one-year 'anniversary'

It is hard to believe a full year has passed, already.  This is how I got to be 65 and hardly noticed I was getting older.  ;)

Although we're never exactly 'perfect' following AN surgery, we do adapt and adjust and learn not to sweat the small stuff, as you have.

I'm so pleased to learn you're doing so well and that you and Sam seem to be moving forward in your lives.

Please do as Phyl suggested and 'drop by' more often.  You guys are missed and really do have a lot to offer 'newbies' - and everyone else.  I wish you and Sam continued success and for you, Adrian, continued healing and even better days ahead.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 07:26:10 am »
Adrian,
Congratulations on your one year anniversar!.  It sounds like you doing well and have adapted to the challenges your AN has given you.  Your post is a remiinder that we need to have patience in our recoveries and  not to sweat the small stuff and I think it is one that can't be said too often.  It's one of the many things we all need to learn and remember.   Easier said than done for most of us but you make it seem easy.  Please do post more often if you can --  your  positive attitude will be a good morale booster for all.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:00:55 am »
Nice picture, Adrian. I think you look much better than 65%!

On the throat tickle issue - why don't you just stop drinking vinegar?  :D

It sounds like you have recovered really well, and reached that enviable state of "getting on with life."

Thanks for the update, and best wishes to you and Sam for year number two.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 03:45:04 pm »
Glad to hear from you and have such positive news regarding your AN experience!  Keep moving forward and with time all your "little" annoyances will go by the wayside! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 05:35:20 pm »
Hey you two- it GREAT to hear from you again.

A year- already!
 :o

So glad you stopped in to say hi...  :)

Do you have more photos for us?

I still giggle at that post surgery video of you on U-tube- when the steriods ect had you all giddy. :D

Happy belated 1 year post op anniversary!

DHM (the old "4")

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!