Author Topic: Social Security Disability  (Read 2833 times)

LADavid

Social Security Disability
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:48:40 pm »
Hi All
New day -- new question (I have a lot of them).  Following my surgery, the surgeons said I would be fully recovered in one to two months.  Since I'm an actor and there was a writers strike, I really wasn't that concerned with the recovery period.  But here it is, over two months later with little improvement in my balance, no improvement in my facial palsy, and the writers strike is ending.  I had to turn down two auditions today.  Now I'm concerned since the doctors were so sure about the recovery period that something else may be wrong and I need to be considering other options.
One of those options is Social Security Disability if I can't go back to acting anytime soon. I read some posts that referred to attorney representation.  Is this a requirement for obtaining Disability?
Thanks
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Social Security Disability
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »
David;

Having legal representation in Social Security Disability hearings is not a requirement but other's experience, including that of my wife, has shown it to be highly advisable.  SSD benefits are not like unemployment benefits, where all you need is proof of unemployment (not for cause) and show an effort to find work.  As a former radio broadcaster (disc jockey) I collected unemployment benefits between gigs with little trouble as I was usually unemployed because of ratings or a format change not of my making and I was eager to get back on the air, as unemployment paid poorly.  I hated having to collect it but did so out of necessity.

Social Security Disability awards are hard to get in many cases and your first application is almost automatically turned down.  It gets very frustrating.  Figure close to two years until your case is resolved.  They demand volumes of medical documentation and question everything.  They'll likely ask why you can't simply do something else ('retraining').  These are just some of the reasons you may want to consider retaining an attorney that specializes in securing Social Security Disability benefits.  There are many of them in any city and they can be a big help.  Most will take a portion of your award (benefit) that accumulated during the time from your initial application until the final decision, assuming you're approved.  So, if your 'award' is $1,000. per month and it takes, say, 18 months to resolve the case, you'll receive a lump-sum award of $18,000.  The attorney may take a third of that ($6,000.) Of course, the  problem is: how do you live in the meantime?  I'll leave that question for you to answer but you can see why many folks simply give up or don't bother applying for Social Security Disability benefits.  It's a hassle and, in the end, you could lose the case.

I wish you all the best in your recovery and if you decide to pursue SSD.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mema

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 04:41:02 pm »
David,       

Don't know how old your are, but I hope the symptoms you are experiencing in time (hopefully not too long ) will go away.  I know in my state it takes up to three and a half years to be approved.  I would imagine all states are different.. 

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:41:23 pm »
Thanks for your input.  From what I've read from other posts and from your responses I am sensing that with all the headaches associated, this is not an option.  I too am hoping that my condition will improve soon -- but if it doesn't, I don't want to be saying -- I should have...  Thank you.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:01:12 pm »
David,

Please, rest assured that everybody is different. Some people recover within weeks, some within months and some actually take years. I had two surgeries and my recovery after each one was at snail pace and I was doubting my surgeons each time. I always thought that the first time my recovery was so long because I had nothing but complications and I would recover faster the second time around. However, for me NOTHING happens before 3 months! I am still in fact in the recovery mode (7 months post-op) and was hit by major fatigue after driving 3 hours yesterday in the snow (we had a winter blizzard). The facial nerve itself takes months for many people. Some surgeons look at the person and make a judgement that this one is going to recover fast because he/she is relatively young, active, eats well, etc. The nature, however, takes its course and does not listen to a surgeon. Chances are , you will recover; it just takes longer. Hang in there! I understand it is frustrating!

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:03:15 am »
LA,
As Jim said, there is no requirement for an attorney.  The attorney gets things in order though and in my case, really helped.  Just make sure you keep really good records.  Write down everything.  I kept a journet of my lefe after the AN.  I've always kept journels, this one is a letter different..a little more detailed.  SS doesn't count the first six months you can't work.  It is a great place to start though.  Good luck and if I can help in any way, I'm here.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

OMG16

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:31:29 pm »
LA I'm sorry you are having problems.  It is still early in your recovery and you are still healing.  I know that does not help you with your employment options now.  What do your Drs say about this and have they sent you for PT, OT, ST and balance training?  Follow Brenda's advice and start using a journal for everything and be sure to write how it is affecting your everyday life and your employment.  My son's Drs charted his disabilities exceptionally well and we were able to get him approved for SSDI within 6 weeks.  He also had neuropsych testing that tested his cognitive abilities and this helped allot as some of us know it is sometimes the stuff that no one can see that causes the most disability.  Also when you go to see your providers ask them to chart your symptoms in regards to how it does affect your everyday life and employment.  They do not always do this and it is important to have it documented when and if the time does come that you need to apply for SSI and/or vocational retraining.

Please feel free to PM me as I can give you some more info to help you along if you decide this is the direction you would like to go.  Wishing you well and hang in there.   :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.