Author Topic: Radiosurgery side effects  (Read 2963 times)

Tag

Radiosurgery side effects
« on: September 09, 2007, 03:49:55 am »
Hi everybody

This is the second time I write in this forum. Again excuse my English as it is not my first language. Last year in March I wrote when I first discovered I have AN. Since then I wasn't able to take any decision until March this year, when I had GK.

Before the proceedure my left eye kept twitching and sometimes my lips. Also there's tinitus in my left ear. Now, last month I did the 1st MRI and the Doctor told me there's necrosis, which I understood to be something good. However, now my left eye is slightly bigger than my right eye and I seem to blink in my right eye most of the time. I can close both my eyes but the left eye is weaker. The twitching is gone. Is this normal? Will it get better or worse? I'm currently taking cortisone pills and my doctor told me I can take Botox injection. Will it work?

On another issue, and I don't know if it's related. I noticed that the left side of my neck twitches especially when I clench my teeth or I'm laughing too hard!! And its pulling my lower lip on the side. Is it related?? Does my symptoms mean that its the beginning of a facial paralysis??

I'm really confused and feeling very miserable especially it should be the happiest days of my life as I got engaged with my boyfriend a month ago. Sometimes I feel he doesn't really understand what I'm going through and thinks I'm making a big deal out of it!!

I really appreciate hearing from you and sorry for the long letter.

Tag
Age 37

bpham

Re: Radiosurgery side effects
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:21:54 am »
Tag,

I can only tell you my symptoms.  I've AN about 4 weeks ago.  No treatment is done yet, however, I'm experiencing similar issues.  My left eye is twitching, and my left lip also have tics and twitches.  Sometime when I laugh hard or yarn, my left face has spasm (left lip pulls up and left eye seems to want to close shut).  Also, my left front neck also has spasm or seems to be contracting.  This condition is bothering me greatly.  I guess the bottom line is that my left face is kind of weaker than the right one.

I believe that in my case the facial nerve or some nerve is being affected by my tumor.

Just my experiences.

1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Tag

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:09:46 am »
Dear Bpham

Thank you for sharing your experience. I guess the left side of my face is weaker too. Do you know anything that could be taken, such as pills, botox injections .. etc. Its really bothering me and some days its worse than others.

bpham

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:43:05 pm »
I'm taking Prednisone and it helps a lot, but this is not for taking over a long period.  This I'm taking just to preserve my facial nerve before the surgery, which is about 3 weeks from now.

How is your symptoms now, is it better, the same or worse?

1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 02:00:37 pm »
Hi, Tag:

I suspect that the radiation obviously affected some of your facial nerves, which are healing and causing your various symptoms.  These symptoms should eventually resolve themselves without intervention.  However, I'm not a doctor and my opinion is hardly authoritative. 

You have a physician and most of your questions should really be directed to him.  I wouldn't presume to second-guess him., for obvious reasons.  However, I can tell you that your English is fine.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tag

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:15:26 am »
Thanks for your replies. The symptoms are still the same. I really hope they will resolve by themselves. Whenever, I ask my doctor he says that no one can tell what will happen. They might get better or get worse!!

I can understand that my left side of the fce is weak and therefore, my left eye is different and I can't wink easily. However, what I can't understand is my neck and the pulling it does to my lower lip!! Accordingly, when I laugh, the lower lip looks terrible.

Anyway, I have an appointment with another doctor after 10 days. I will see what he says  ???

Tag