Author Topic: Where my incision is doesn't make sense  (Read 3033 times)

squirrellee

Where my incision is doesn't make sense
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:33:18 pm »
After talking with a few of you on here (especially Kathy, my personal angel) I realize that my scar is not in the same place as most people. My scar from the AN removal starts right below my neck on my right side and went up to about the middle of my head. It tore open at the base of my neck and that is what healed as a crater. Not to be sick or anything, but when the home health care nurse was coming in to change my bandages every day, she could easily fit 5 big gauze pads in the hole...it was that deep. Has anyone heard of an AN removed this way?

I just want to take a minute to tell you how my heart has been touched by this wonderful group of people. I am not alone and I will no longer be so afraid. You have helped me to hold my head a little higher and there is no way to put into words the graditude I feel for you all. I know I am blessed and I THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

Tammy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:08:27 pm by squirrellee »
2.8 CM AN removed 2 years ago, right side deafness, some facial paralysis, vertigo and headaches. paralyzed vocal cord and a pace maker as a result of complication of the surgerysurgery. Treated at Arnot Ogden Medical Center in Elmira, NY by Dr. Kung

Palace

• Palace
Re: Where my incision is doesn't make sense
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:40:02 pm »
Hello  Tammy,

You're quite "welcome," from all of us. 

Others can help you with your question since I had Cyberknife.

Post as much as you like as, everyone is here for you.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:11:11 pm »
Tammy,

Have you gotten a copy of your surgical report?  It should have the name of the procedure they used to remove the AN.  That may help you figure some of this out. 

If you haven't gotten it yet, you can request a copy from Medical Records at the hospital where you had your surgery.  They are legally required to keep those records, and legally required to release them to you at your request.  You want the operative/procedure reports, discharge report, and the surgeon's notes.  I also requested copies of lab results and the pathology report.  There's a lot of medical jargon in the reports, but also a lot of good information.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48:34 am »
Tammy,
Your incision sounds like mine and tomorrow will be my two year.  I figure when the fat disapated the crater set in.  That side of my head is still numb so it doesn't bother me too much.  It drives my hair dresser crazy though!!  I have a picture of mine, staples and all on my Myspace site. 
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 02:03:33 pm »
Your fat is dissipating?  Does this normally happen?  I assumed it will be there for ever daming the csf from gushing out--guess this is a new question I'll be asking my doctor--if I can ever remember it!  Does fat dissipate from buttocks, thighs and under the eyes?   ;)
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 02:43:29 pm »
I think I confused myself with that one.  They took fat from my abdomen and stuffed the crater they created with it.  I wish it would dissapate from everywhere you suggested.......................I might agree to another surgery........NOT!!  I was told that when they take something from your brain area they have to put something back to keep the brain from moving I guess until it gets used to the tumor being gone.  I really didn't understand that process.  I was hoping for a lot more fat to be gone for good.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

mykey

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:16:05 pm »
Mykey had translab and they took fat from his abdomen to pack the area where they removed the ear bone.  His neurotologist told us that after it looking puffed out like a sardine attached behind his ear right after surgery, it will eventually sink inward and become a "divot" behind his ear. 

As far as fat removal, he had CSF complications after the first surgery and they went in a second time through his same incision...they took fat out of both sides of his abdomen.  I told him if they had to do it one more time it would be considered a tummy tuck too!   :D

Mykey's Wifey
Diagnosed  1/20/2007. Right side AN 2.5 cm
50yr, guitarist for 35 yrs.
Married w/10yr old son.
Translab 4/26/07 at Emory University performed by: Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson
Surgery successful!
Extended time in ICU due to CSF leaks.

matti

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:16:10 pm »
I also have a large crater at my surgery site and was told by my surgeon that some patients develop them and for some reason others don't and the same procedure is used. he has also said it has nothing to do with the fat pack  :-\

Where they took the fat from on my abdomen, I still have a depression and as my weight has fluctuated  >:( over the years since surgery, I don't put on any weight in that area (no trouble finding other areas though)
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Obita

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:08:37 pm »
Hi squirrellee and all:

Our friend Tammy (squirrellee) has a scar that starts at the top of her back and goes halfway up her head.  I had told Tammy that I had not heard of an AN surgery approach where the incision extends past the hairline.  I suggested she post here about her incision to get feedback from other surgical patients.  Her whole ordeal just does not sit well with me.  Not only does her surgeon have a terrible bedside manor, it is inexcusable that he joked about his error in pumping too much fluid into her lungs which caused her to have a heart attack and a seizure.   

Is there a statue of limitations on medical issues like this?  I know we have a resident attorney on here.  Advice please for Tammy?  If you have not read her story yet, it is posted in AN Issues titled HURT.

Thanks everyone!! Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

linnilue

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 09:32:20 pm »
I believe there is either a 2 or 3 year period for medical malpractice and that is just to file.  She needs to get her medical records, get a consult from another physican and then see an attorney.  I agree, this doesn't sit well with me either.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.