Author Topic: acoustic neuroma  (Read 2401 times)

Lila Harris

acoustic neuroma
« on: May 18, 2007, 04:35:01 pm »
Hi,

Last year I was diagonsed with AN the size was 1.0cm.  I had an MRI last week and it grew to 1.7cm.  I looked up information on the internet and found (since I live in West Palm Beach, FL) that they recommend University of Miami at Jackson and University of Gainesville.  I went to Jackson today and they recommend gammaknife radiation.  I also contacted House of Ear in LA and the doctor there also recommended gammaknife.  Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

thank you

Lila Harris

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:40:23 pm »
Hi Lila, nice to meet you.  I didn't have radiation at Univ. of Miami, but I had my AN surgery there.  They do have CyberKnife & GammaKnife;  Dr. Howard Landy is the director.  I hear he's excellent - so is Dr. Jacques Morcos(who also does skull based surgery).  Which doctor did you see?
All the best Lila,  Nancy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:42:23 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Mark

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:34:22 pm »
Lila,

since you are in west palm beach, I would also recommend you contact Dr. Jerome Spunberg who operates the CK right there in your town. As many on this forum know, he is one of the contributing doctors on the Cyberknife Patient support board.

Link to the message board on that web site is http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

Link to the doctors bios is http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/about_the_doctors.html#jjs

and here is his, he's from Harvard medical School which makes Phyl happy since it's in Boston  :D

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Radiation Oncology Institute &
Cyberknife Center of Palm Beach

10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

Email: jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
www.radiationoncologyinstitute.com

Phone: (561) 624-1717
Fax: (561) 296-4270

Dr. Spunberg is a board certified radiation oncologist practicing in Palm Beach County, Florida for over twenty years. He is a fellow of both the American College of Radiology and the American College of Radiation Oncologist. He graduated from Harvard Medical School and completed his residency training in radiation oncology at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. Particular interests include the use of Cyberknife in prostate and lung cancer, as well as intracranial and spinal tumors. He is especially excited about combining treatment with the Cyberknife with other therapeutic options such as IMRT and chemotherapy.

Best of luck,

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:46:12 pm »
gotta love us Bawstonians, Ma'ak! ;)

Hi Lila and welcome.  I have to concur with Mark that Dr. Spunberg is top notch in your area.  Very well versed, great sense of humor (which, to me, is a gawd send if you can find that in a treating physician -- helps to show their bedside manner, ya know?) but more than that, really does know his stuff.

Hang in there.. and welcome. Good to see you here.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:07:08 am »
Hi Lila:  Looks like Mark has some great advice !!!  Sounds like a plan.  Wishing you all the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis