Author Topic: Classic symptoms??!  (Read 4634 times)

Macnz

Classic symptoms??!
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:37:59 am »
Hi everyone,

I have an ENT appointment this Thursday, so will start to get some actual answers then. In the meantime, Dr Google has led me here!!

So symptoms are non stop tinnitus in right ear, high frequency sensorineural hearing loss in right ear, becoming really sensitive to loud noises (not great as a primary school teacher!!). Not a great deal of balance loss, but occasional sense of 'whoosh'. Mild headache for about a month, especially when leaning forward or coughing. Also feeling of 'underwaterness' in right ear, like I'm hearing my own voice from the inside, not the outside.

Have been to audiologist, who confirmed unilateral high frequency sensorineural hearing loss.

So will wait and see. Does anyone know what else might have caused this cluster of symptoms over the last month?

Cheers

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Classic symptoms??!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:29:40 am »
Hi Macnz and welcome to this forum .....

Your symptoms do seem to correlate with many of us with ANs.  However, there are several other conditions that also have these symptoms, such as Meniere's Disease, etc. so try to relax until you have more information.  I am glad you have an ENT appointment soon so you will have answers soon.  Given your symptoms, if your doctor does not automatically order an MRI, I would ask for one and be sure it is ordered with contrast, which is the best way to see even small ones, if it turns out to be an AN.

Many thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:02:37 pm »

So symptoms are non stop tinnitus in right ear, high frequency sensorineural hearing loss in right ear, becoming really sensitive to loud noises (not great as a primary school teacher!!). Not a great deal of balance loss, but occasional sense of 'whoosh'. Mild headache for about a month, especially when leaning forward or coughing. Also feeling of 'underwaterness' in right ear, like I'm hearing my own voice from the inside, not the outside.

Have been to audiologist, who confirmed unilateral high frequency sensorineural hearing loss.

Does seem like you might qualify for membership in our exclusive little club.

I agree that an MRI with contrast is the way to go.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Macnz

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »
Ok, so ENT doctor agrees, and MRI is booked in for 8 April, two weeks away. Wish it were sooner, lots of waiting, but I guess it could be worse.

When I spoke to the radiology department to book, they said contrast hadn't been ordered, so I requested it and one of their doctors agreed, so contrast it is.

Waiting in the meantime, and will post an update once there is something to update.

Happy Easter everyone,

Craig

Macnz

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 08:57:31 pm »
A space has opened up tomorrow morning for an MRI, so I no longer have to wait for two weeks, which is great!

I'll post an update once I have the results.

Cheers
Craig