Author Topic: just diagnosed  (Read 4250 times)

rbc892

just diagnosed
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:04 am »
I have just been diagnosed with a 3mm vestibular schwannoma in my right inner ear canal. I am looking for an excellent neurosurgeon in the metro Detroit area to Ann Arbor. My internist feels it will be a watch and wait situation because I have no symptoms and it is small. However, I do want someone or some excellent hospital to go to for this type of problem. Anyone out there in this area with a good neurosurgeon and good results?

mvennix

Re: just diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »
Michigan Ear institute in Farmington Hills Michigan.  My wife has a 6mm we are in the watch and wait stage.  Going back tomorrow after 6 months from the discovery for a second consult.  Had a MRI on Sunday to check for growth.  He will be discussing the results with us.  Dr. Larue is wh we are seeing - I do not have the spelling correct on his name but that is how you pronounce it.

rbc892

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 06:21:30 am »
I hope everything is going well. I thank you for your reply.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »
Your Acoustic Neuroma is very small, and the risks of operating are quite high. It is brain surgery.
Many Acoustic Neuromas never grow and yours maybe one of the many that will never need any treatment.
I would certainly explore all options thoroughly before going down the surgery path, especially for an AN about the size of a grain of rice. Many surgeries they will leave much more behind to preserve the facial nerve and hearing.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:31:29 pm »
Good answer PaulW! Right now I`ve been sitting with a 12x06 mm AN since diognosis going into 7 years W+W. I would at least say take your time, and give W+W a chance.  Stay pro active in doing so... W+W Brigade posts for ways to handle things... I`m feeling better and wishing you the best whatever you decide, Mickey

mvennix

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »
Michigan Ear Institute does not push surgery.  They even suggested W+W for us for the first 6 months.  However he is after 6 months it grew from 6mm to 8mm.  So we are now considering surgery more seriously now.

PMORRIS

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:18:07 pm »
I have a small one too 2.5mm x 4.5mm, but I have total hearing loss in my right ear that happened overnight about 2.5 weeks ago.   I just went to Vanderbilt on Wednesday and my doctor was very glad to hear that I wasn't anxious to get it out, so he ordered another MRI in six months to assess any growth but in the meanwhile wants to work on restoring my hearing if possible.  There was some slight improvement from the first audiogram I had right after my hearing loss, albeit no useful hearing. But, this doctor is the first person who has given me any hope of hearing again.  He did a steroid injection into my middle ear through the eardrum (ouch!!) and prescribed a high oral dose.  I go back in a month for a hearing test and if there is improvement he will treat it again. He described the AN (or VS) not as slow-growing, but rather as unpredictable. I am not going to be disappointed if my hearing doesn't come back, because I had already accepted the loss. I'm happy to W & W!
Sudden SSD 3/11/14. Diagnosed 3/17/14 with 2.5mm x 4.5mm AN. Wait and watch and treating for possible hearing restoration.

rbc892

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 03:48:26 pm »
Thank you all for the replies. The surgeon I saw at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit wants me to watch and wait for a year, and I am fine with that. I am also sending my audiogram and mri to Schwartz at House and to Friedman at Keck. I would like the best out there to see my pics.

john1455

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »
The anausa.org website (pull down menu Medical Resources) has a listing of physicians and facilities categorized by name and state. Also, I hope you are aware that if you send your records to someone who does only one type of treatment (like open surgery at House), they will only recommend the type of treatment that they do. In this case, open surgery will be the only recommendation that you will receive from House because that is what they do (and are very good at it, I hear). It would be in your best interest to consult physicians who are multidisciplinary (do both open surgery and radiosurgery) to get an unbiased answer if you truly want viable options. However, if you are set on open surgery, then House will tell you the best open surgical approach.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:09 am »
I'm with PaulW.  Your AN is very small.  You owe it to yourself to look into radiation - and that's coming from someone who had surgery and had a great outcome.

I'm not pro surgery nor am I pro radiation; just want to make sure you cover all your bases.

Michigan Ear is a great place; U of Michigan is also a great place.  Many excellent docs @ both places.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways