Author Topic: puffy scalp - water balloon  (Read 2660 times)

jr.ewing.78

puffy scalp - water balloon
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »
Hi -

I'm new here and this is my first post, although I have read a lot of helpful posts. Thank you!

Just had suboccipital surgery two weeks ago to take out my 3cm tumor. Mass General here in Boston w/ Barker and McKenna.

Feeling pretty good and everything is to be as expected, I guess. I am back working from home and no more vertigo or dizziness and the headaches are slowly subsiding. The surgery was tougher than I expected to be, as were the first 3-4 days, but I am rapidly becoming myself again, maybe 85% now? The paralysis is slowing subsiding and really the biggest thing to get used to is the SSD.

However, one thing that is still bothering me - that I can't find any guidance on - is swelling under my scalp near the incision. I went to get my sutures out this week and the NP said she wanted to keep them in one more week out of caution. On the back of my head under my scalp is a palm size area that feels like a puffy water balloon. No pain or anything, but it's just weird and bothersome. The nurse said it was CSF and that she wasn't worried about it at all and that it would resolve on its own, but that hasn't stopped me from worrying about. No fever, no nasal or ear drip, just this weird puffy spot.

Is this common? How long will it take to resolve? Can it be "drained" without having to go back into surgery?

Thanks very much for all the helpful posts in the past few months. It has all been very educational and useful.

Best -

jmg

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: puffy scalp - water balloon
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:58 am »
jmg -

I'm no expert on AN's or CSF, but just reading the subject of your post made me immediately think CSF leak.  CSF leaks happen to some; don't happen to others.  Palm size doesn't sound insignificant when we're talking about the back of your head.

I don't want to second guess your NP, or cause you alarm, but I don't recall reading any posts about CSF leaks on the Forum where the patient was told to wait and see what happened.   And I don't recall anyone posting about draining a CSF leak; all posts I recall required surgery.

I certainly haven't read every post on the Forum, but I have been around here a long time now.

I love nurses to death, but if it were me I'd make an appt. with Barker or McKenna and make sure that what you've been is told is correct.  You don't want to mess around with a CSF leak. 

I never had one, but my doc told me if I ever got one that I should head to the nearest ER and have them call him. 

Just my thoughts - and keep in mind here that I'm not a doctor or a nurse.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways