Author Topic: Eye weight removal  (Read 6209 times)

KBL

Eye weight removal
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »
I got my gold eye weight in Dec. 2010, the tone is back in my face, but I am unable to lift my eyebrow, and do not smile on that side.  I still do not produce tears.  My eye Dr. is having me consult with the surgeon to see if my eye is closing all the way, and if it is time to remove the weight.  She thinks I may be ready.  I have blurry vision because my eye is so dry.  Once the weight is out she will fit me with a schleral lens, which I can fill with solution and it will keep my eye moisturized.  We tried a sample lens with the weight and it was not comfortable since the weight pushed on the lens.  I am nervous about having the weight removed prematurely.  I think it protrudes and my lid does not go up all the way on that side.   ??? I am looking for feedback on this matter.  Any thoughts?  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

alabamajane

Re: Eye weight removal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:02:43 pm »
Hi Karen,
I too have weight, have since Oct 2011, and I feel mine protrudes and keeps my eye from opening all the way also..my eyebrow also doesn't move,, I have asked about having weight removed and was told I could or could try one half as thick as this one ,,, haven't looked into it yet tho.

At support group meeting recently,I met a lady who had hers replaced with a platinum weight as that is a denser metal so weight does not have to be so thick to do same job,, then she found out about a weight that you just adhere/ tape to the outside of lid,, I thought that was cool too .. She says it is a prescription Dr. Gave her and she gets several at a time .. Her husband is a jeweler and he has made her a platinum one that she uses now, she looks great and even had it covered with eye shadow!

So there are options out there, I intend to look into it with an Ophthalmologist I guess,,, will let you know what I find out,,keep us informed as to what you decide to do also,,, info is empowering,, good luck,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

KBL

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:45 pm »
Thank you Jane, I have the consultation on Friday.  I'm just so tried of eye issues...  I will let you know my decision.  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:53:10 pm »
Hi Karen,

Have you checked out the thread:  Schleral lens by Dena King?  I didn't have a gold weight so can't help you there but I do have a lens and LOVE it.  There have been some issues with getting the fitting right so it might not be your weight that is causing the problem or it might be part of the problem.  I also posted more about my lens in a thread called: Early Christmas present.  Let us know how the weight and lens issues turn out for you.  Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

KBL

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »
I had my eye weight removed in April.  My eye blinks, but not consistently every time.  I do not have 100% closure with that eye, but pretty close.  I was fit for schleral lens today and will have the expensive little buggers in a couple days!   I am looking forward to the lens and seeing what they do for my vision in my blurry left eye.  Worse case scenario, I will have to have another less heavy weight put back in at some point in the future.  Karen

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:05:25 pm »
I have a 1.8 gram platinum eyelid implant. I am also in the fitting process for a scleral lens. My implant causes no problem with the lens. I have no drooping and my eye closes for sleep, but I don't have a complete blink.

When my implant was inserted, my ophthalmic surgeon told me that I would know when it was time to take it out, and I would be asking him to take it out before he would agree to. Right now I don't care if I keep it forever.

If your doctors agree it is time to remove the gold weight and you later decide that you need one after all, you could look into a platinum one as they are thinner than the gold ones.

Wishing you all the best.
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

KBL

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:17:14 pm »
I got my sclera lens today.  I  wore them for 4 hours.  They were comfortable.  Now I just have to get used to needing readers.  Tomorrow I will wear the lens 6 hours and then after that all day.   :) My distance vision with them is better that with my glasses. :D
Karen