Author Topic: Surgery on 1/10/13  (Read 2980 times)

karascott

Surgery on 1/10/13
« on: November 24, 2012, 03:01:06 pm »
I will be having surgery on 1/10/13 at House by Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz. Is it normal to be at peace and still from time to time have fear?  Sometimes people are causing my fear because they keep reminding me this is brain surgery and  that it is serious.  I know they mean will. Most of my emotions come from the fact that have I to depend on people which is new for me. My mother in-law will be staying with me for most of the time because my husband has to return  to Maryland for work. I feel mixed emotions because I have never had "family" to care for me this much, but I also feel guilty that everyone is trying rearrange their lives right now to accommodate me.  Moreover,I have teacher guilt because my students will be behind for the state test.  I think that I am over thinking all this. I am a type A personality who now has to just go with the flow. 
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

It is what it is

Re: Surgery on 1/10/13
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:37:36 pm »
Your feelings sure sound normal to me.  When we are independent, self-reliant people, it is extra difficult to allow others to "help" us. I have learned some important life lessons about slowing down.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

millie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:38 am »
I had the very same feelings.  I am now five weeks post op and still taking it slowly...it is right to take the take to heal properly...and it will take time and patience..let others help.  Also, don't worry about the students.  I am sure you left lots of plans and material behind and someone good is subbing for you.  Kids learn because of us, in spite of us, and because of themselves.  It will all be fine in the long run.

karascott

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:32 am »
Thanks for the wisdom. I have searched to see if there were any teachers who have  had this surgery because there is no such thing as a teacher on light duty. lol. For me, I cannot go back to work and leave just because I am not feeling well every other day. Everytime you come back and leave out again it is an occurrence on your performance record which is attached to your evaluation and pay.  I hope that they will have a sub while I am out, but working in the inner city usually means that we are always low on funds, and sometimes we take turns watching classrooms or combining classes. There will be three of us out in my department around the same time. 
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

kmr1969

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:04:42 pm »
Kara,

I tried to PM you, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

I just got back to Maryland from my surgery/stay at the House Clinic/Seton Hall.

Happy to answer an questions you may have.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

millie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:28 am »
Kara-Talk to your union rep and your department chair/immediate supervisor(assistant principal?)  You did not ask to have an an, and you sure would rather have a life without one.I know I would!  You have every reason to take care of it and heal properly.  It is up to your superiors to find a suitable long term rplacement sub, be that a month, two months, three months.  When folks go on maternity leave, they stay out for a few months, I believe, and there is a permanent sub for them.
Your job must be protected by your contract-talk to your union rep.