Author Topic: Scuba Diving and Skydiving and Headaches  (Read 5975 times)

JW123

Scuba Diving and Skydiving and Headaches
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »
I am 6 months and a few days post surgery. I do have really bad post surgery headachs, but am working with the good ol' professionals on getting them under control.  After surgery I decided I should start living a more adventurous life. I am planning a trip to Malaysia in July and am wondering about the effects of scuba diving and skydiving on my head. I know that at deep depths there is a lot of pressure and more specifically pressure on your head. Has anyone on here gone scuba diving post surgery? If so, what were you effects, if any? Somewhat related skydiving has quick altitude change, which could be concerning. Has anyone gone skydiving post surgery?

-Joe
Left side VS - 2.0 x 2.7
Retrosigmoid on Oct 17th 2011
Surgery at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link & Dr. Driscoll
SSD left side, delayed temporary facial weakness, ongoing severe headaches.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Scuba Diving and Skydiving and Headaches
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:00:31 am »
I am 6 months and a few days post surgery. I do have really bad post surgery headachs, but am working with the good ol' professionals on getting them under control.  After surgery I decided I should start living a more adventurous life. I am planning a trip to Malaysia in July and am wondering about the effects of scuba diving and skydiving on my head. I know that at deep depths there is a lot of pressure and more specifically pressure on your head. Has anyone on here gone scuba diving post surgery? If so, what were you effects, if any? Somewhat related skydiving has quick altitude change, which could be concerning. Has anyone gone skydiving post surgery?

-Joe

Others will chime in I just had to I remember someone else posted about the scuba diving and as usual I forgot it...But I think you have to be very careful and look out for certain things but I would get a medical opinion on that for sure do not take any chances.

Hope you get the clearance and have a great time.

Best Wishes
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

BeckyMax

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:26 am »
Definitely talk to your doc first.  I did scuba dive last month, but am in watch and wait,post surgery is a different animal.   Disorientation could be a factor in skydiving.  At least in scuba you have a buddy to assist in an emergency, is there a safety mechanism on your chute that will open it at a certain altitude if you become unable?

Talk to your doc for sure.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:21 pm »
Joe ~

I'm (obviously) not a doctor and have never engaged in scuba diving, either but my guess is that post-op diving would be problematic.  However, as Becky posted, only your doctor can give you credible advice about this.  Please let us know his opinion.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »
Someone on this site mentioned that Scuba diving was out after surgery.
The reason being the sudden pressure changes may cause CSF leaks.
CSF leaks have been reported by healthy people happenning spontaneously after skydiving and Scuba diving.
Its a great question for your doctor and as this question has come up a few times, it would be nice to hear what their opinion is.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »
Since this subject has come up before and I have gotten somewhat curious, I did some web searches. The closest I have found that provides something of an answer is http://divertodiver.scubadiving.com/tm.aspx?m=169098&mpage=1&key=&#169302 .

I found a couple of other things as well that were a little less specific, but they indicated that you really need to talk with your doctor and a dive doctor.

As for skydiving, jumping unnecessarily out of a perfectly good airplane seems like a bad idea, just under general principles.  ;D

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:23 am »
Hi Joe,

In response to your questions about skydiving and SCUBA diving, I've been doing both for years and intend on continuing both activities post-op. Sure I'll consult with my doctor before taking part in these activities long after my surgery (4/27/12). And I won't assume the risk if there are any balance issues  or pressure concerns. However, I expect to recover from my surgery and hopefully return to being adventurous once my body is ready.

Now, if for some reason I'm unable to perform those activities following surgery, I'll just press on and find other adventurous activities. There are plenty of fun activities you can do that don't involve altitude or pressure changes. Rock climbing is fun and relatively safe since you're on a rope. Riding quads is a blast if your balance is okay. There are endless opportunities out there. 

For your trip to Malaysia, maybe you should check into parasailing or jet skiing. You could also enjoy SNUBA, which is like SCUBA without the tanks. You breathe from an air hose on the surface without having to dive deep. It's much safer and you still get to see all the things you would on a normal dive. Plan fun activities that are safe. That way you won't be disappointed if you get the thumbs down from your doc regarding not so safe activities. 

Joe, what I'm saying here is that I'm not planning on letting my AN control what I can and can't do. Sure it may play a factor in some activities, but I'll just have to find other fun things to do then. Have a fun trip!

Dave 
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea