Author Topic: Great Disney World trip!  (Read 3297 times)

Cheryl R

Great Disney World trip!
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:35:05 am »
I am slow getting written here but did write on FB that we had a great Disney World trip.      Nice weather and fun to be with family!     It is not a real relaxing trip as one can be very active there if want to be.        I was a great scooter mama and never harmed any one.      Only used when at the park as able to do some walking and be ok.   I haven't got caught up here yet or even at home as had a class went to all day yesterday that had planned before went.     I am keeping up my nursing license for a while yet even if do not ever work.    I did go on some rides and did fine.  Soaring didn't bother me  and enjoyed it.   
It was busy and hate to think how much more busy in summer.       I need to catch up on here and will in time.                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Great Disney World trip!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:49:47 am »
Cheryl,

Hi! Heard you liked Disney too! I have been there 5 times did something different each time with my wife and daughter and even brought my mother in law on 2 occasions!

Recently, in January, (before my follow up visit with the oncologist who scared me) I went on the Disney Steam Train Tour. Did you know that Walt Disney was a Steam Train fan long before he started Disneyland or Disneyworld? My daughter is now 21 and she and I were the first ones there at 6:00 am before it got light.

I must admit having been in those scooter things made it easier on my legs but harder in that I could not get around as easily I was weaving in and out trying to avoid other people walking.

Even when it was cold in Disneyworld that doesn't stop the crowds!!

We have a great time, everytime!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:17 pm »
Cheryl: you say "I will keep my nursing license for a while yet even if do not ever work"
Are you ready for retirement?
I ask only because I am a nurse and didn't give up nursing, have been able to continue (although some days I am still exhausted), guess it also depends on what type of nursing you do. What I'm saying is if you still wish to continue to work you likely will be able to return to duty in time.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:36:45 am »
Kathleen, I am one of the ones with no balance nerves now due to the NF2 and surgery on both sides.  I worked in a smaller hospital with maybe 25 beds and full alot of the time.    So the running up and down the halls would make me bouncing off the walls.      I have been retired 4 yrs now and will soon be 60.     I can not type well at all and do the finger peck so an office job isn't a good option either.     So it is doubtful I will do anything but have kept my eye out for anything that might be of a possibility.     I have managed to keep busy enough.        I also can't walk on icy or slick conditions which we do have in the midwest.
Plus yes the being tired is there too.             I am still tired from our trip but know will get over that eventually.                  I only worked 23 yrs total as did get to be home with kids when they were young and glad I did.    This whole darn AN business just wasn't in my older years plans!           I was off 2 mos after the first 2 tumors and then retired right before no 3 tumor surgery.                            I am just very grateful to be as good as I am and can do most of what I want yet.  There are many with other conditions who are far worse off than what I am.                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Keri

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:52 am »
Wow, Cheryl. So glad you could have that trip.  It's nice to hear. I'm sorry you have continual issues with AN, but am glad you have a good outlook regarding it, them. You've done a lot in spite of the ongoing challenges.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:22:31 am »
Cheryl: Sorry I didn't fully read, didn't take into consideration NFII and the balance thingy, likely difficult to find a job in nursing that doesn't involve running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!
I often feel excessively tired on my days off, likely if I hadn't had the AN this wouldn't happen, and least not this early in life anyway. I do hope you're enjoying retirement.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:39 am »
Kathleen, You gave me a good laugh for the day as never thought of describing work as running around like a chicken with it's head cut off but some days it was like that!           My nurse friends have said what a book we could write.                      I do enjoy being retired and am glad to be able to be the spare babysitter for the grand girlies!                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08