Author Topic: Two Weeks Out and Getting Better  (Read 3489 times)

KenJen

Two Weeks Out and Getting Better
« on: August 02, 2006, 08:18:05 am »
 Just to let all you kind and gracious people know that Ken had his surgery on 7/17 at House.
We were all set for the Middle Fossa but after the hearing tests and Dr Brackmann's opinion we decided on the translab.  Hearing is gone on left side and the AN was 8mm, long and hanging out of the canal, very involved in the facial nerve.  Ken's face has shown no residual affects, Yea!!  He had such horrible  dry eye before surgery that we just did not want more eye problems.  With his new hair cut he looks great.  Lost weight :  food was horrible, the cafeteria at the hospital changed  3 months ago cutting back and I was disappointed because I had heard about the wonderful food, O well, who can eat anyway, when you are so stressed. You can eat just so much mashed potatoes and gravy!  Thank you for all your info, we would have never found the resources that we need without you. We met so many wonderful families and have made some long term friendships because of this thing coming into our lives.  KenJen
Translab - House 7/17/06
No facial problems but post and pre surgery  chronic dry eye in both eyes

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Two Weeks Out and Getting Better
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:41 pm »
KenJen,
  Congratulations to Ken on getting through the toughest part of the AN journey.  Especially the part about not having facial effects from an An involved in the facial nerve.  Make sure Ken gets plenty of rest, even as he gains strength and adds back more activities.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

nipanddale

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 02:58:16 pm »
Tell Ken that it just gets better from here! I'm just over a month post-surgery now (translab-3.5 cm an-Dr.s Brackmann and Hitzleberger.)

Be sure to do your exercises, and try walking everyday! The eye dryness does improve, but you may want to start experimenting with different kinds of eyedrops. I'm using the same brand they gave me at St. Vincent's, but folks on the ANA discussion have recommended other kinds. Many said that it's a matter of what works for you.

Did Dr. B put in a BAHA implant as well? I get mine tuned in on September 25th.

Dale
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:40:03 pm »
Thanks for the update! 
You mean the mashed taters weren't up to Capt Deb standards?  OH NO!

Just remind him one day at a time....it does get better.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:02:17 pm »
I think one's mashed potato standard gets a little lower when one is on Decadron and hasn't had solid food for a few days! Sorry to hear about the cafeteria, but great to hear about Ken's progress--one day at a time! Keep us posted.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 05:18:19 am »
Hi KenJen:

Sorry to hear the hearing is gone but from one who knows,  life goes on without it and a very good life it is.

I admire your doctors for changing their minds on the approach.  The best possible outcome is what its all about
when it comes to AN removal. 

Best of luck and congrats on being a postie and a postie wife.

Take it slow and slow and all will be fine,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:13:31 pm »
Hey KenJen,

As was said the physical hard stuff is over, now the adjustments begin...I had Translab 4 months ago and was released by the Docs today, until my next MRI in 5 years.  The loss of hearing is a very personal thing I think.  I have not missed it at all, except when I play with my band (a bunch of old country rockers, hey, that would be a good name), and try to sing.  I use a mono plug on the headphones and use headphones when I play.  Other than that I don't really notice the loss most of the time.  So for me the translab was the appropriate surgery.  Like Ken I didn't want to deal with the eye problems and facial problems, so gave up the hearing for a workable face.  Best of luck with the recovery, mine has been phenomanol (sp).  Good luck to both of you!!!!

Dale
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO