Author Topic: My AN Odyssey  (Read 4692 times)

jphua

My AN Odyssey
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:32 am »
Just like many experiences on this forum, I was diagnosed with a 2.0 cm AN after sudden hearing loss in my right ear in April 2011 (I am 43 years old, 2 kids - 14 & 11 year old boys).  My husband and I went through the phases of despair, discovery, research and acceptance over the next 3 months.  Tried steroids a couple of rounds and got back hearing only for a week at a time.  So, did not have much hope of saving any hearing.  By early June 2011, I was totally deaf in my right ear.  After the typical search for the approaches, we decided for (Translab + BAHA-ponto) surgery and scheduled it at House Ear Clinic for Aug 10 (Friedman/Schwartz).  (BAHA was necessary for me due to my professional needs as a Customer Engineering Manager.) Took my 3-week vacation in July, to visit my parents in Asia, before getting ready for the surgery. 

Surprise:  On Aug 1 (10 days prior to surgery) mysteriously - my hearing came back to normal in the right ear!! But I could still feel some tones being different, but no hearing loss!  Only coincidence was an antibiotic (Cipro) intake for urinary infection, but no relation per the doctors.  Well, travelled to Los Angeles/House Clinic on Aug 9 for pre-op checks and as confirmed with audiology - the hearing was perfect in the AN ear.  This perplexed Drs. Friedman and Schwartz also.  However, the only suspicion was that on my MRI, the shading of the tumor was lighter than the usually encountered ANs.

Choices:  The day before surgery we are faced with these critical choices, a fresh MRI confirmed AN has not reduced in size, still at 2.0 or 2.1 cm.  Do I try to save my hearing with a middle fossa?  The size of my tumor was borderline for a middle fossa to save hearing (less than 40% chance).  Also, after going in - if they find it to be not the typical AN (may be a meningioma?), they may not be able to do anything about it and close up!!?? 

Decision:  Well, I have been living without hearing in one ear for over 2 months and maybe God was giving me a final chance to hear in the right ear before giving it up.  So, my decision was to give up the perfectly good hearing right ear and take the simplest approach for surgeons to get them best access to the tumor - Translab.

Surgery surprise:  My husband and son (11 year old) were tense in the waiting room at St.Vincent and it took 6.5 hours (including the BAHA implant).  Dr. Friedman and Schwartz took turns in the end to come and explain to them about the discovery - My neuroma was a FACIAL NERVE TUMOR (Technical – 7th Nerve Schwannoma)!!  The rarest among the Acoustic Tumors (less than 10% of these ANs fall into this category!).  Well, the best they could do is to remove 80% of it, decompress the rest and cut the blood supply as much as possible to the tumor while not affecting my facial nerve.  We were glad to have chosen the Translab approach because it gives the best view of the facial nerve during surgery.

Post Surgery recovery:  After a 24 hour ICU stay, I was able to get up and walk the 2nd day after surgery when moved to the regular recovery room.  I made it a point to ensure walking multiple times on Day 2 and 3 that I was able to get discharged by Day 4 and moved into our guest quarters at Seton hall guest rooms (adjacent to St. Vincent).  Much better place to recover than a hospital room!  Any small facial weakness that showed in the first two days has disappeared by day 5.  I was rated Level 1-2 on the Brackmann scale for facial palsy on the day after surgery, but I am back to normal now.  One fact that I am surprised about is that my tinnitus is totally gone as of now (it was present during my 2 months of hearing loss prior to surgery).  I was kind of expecting the tinnitus to get worse, based on other peoples’ experiences.

About the doctors at House:
I can say that House Clinic is the best place to get ANs treated.  My experience has shown that even with their best in the world expertise, they clearly discussed the limitations of what they saw in my case and gave me all the information to make the decisions.  I never heard “we know everything”.  Knowing how busy they are, we anxious out of towners kept calling Dr. Friedman many times prior to our scheduling surgery with them.  They always return calls promptly and never billed a dime for their time on the phone including a full review of my MRI!  This contrasts with my other experience of being billed $900 for a 15 min phone call to another surgeon in LA for non-invasive surgery.  I would not think twice about recommending House Clinic for ANs, if you are able to make it here.

Experience at St. Vincent:
I would say that St. Vincent and House clinic have had the relationship for a very long time and the doctors are comfortable working with the staff over there.  However, I have had better hospital experiences in my area in northern california.  The primary issue I notice is the constant rotation of nursing staff in the hospital.  The long wait time for responses with patient requests was troublesome along with transportation times for patient moves.  However, the main reason for being at St. Vincent is the House Clinic doctors.  Even if I knew the state of this hospital, I would still go because of the exceptional doctors at House.  The one facility that helped us a lot is the Seton Guest House at St. Vincent – this is an oasis for us patients!  It is so close to the hospital (connected by the basement) and very comfortable accommodation in the middle of this city.  This made my stay and recovery a lot better and easier to handle.  Seeing fellow patients and families gives us a level of comfort and support.

Open questions:
1)  Why did my AN symptoms throughout – never have any facial weakness or paralysis when the tumor was growing on the facial nerve?  Never did I have any symptoms on the face.  Even the doctors were surprised at this.  May be my facial nerve is tough!
2)  The hearing loss was the primary symptom along with occasional dizziness/balance issues.  Very typical Balance nerve tumor symptoms.  Why did I get my hearing back suddenly 10 days before surgery?  No idea!
3)  Is there no diagnosis to find out if the tumors in the inner ear canal are growing on Balance or hearing or facial nerves?  As we have learned from my experience, not yet.

Our hopes for the future:
1)  Based on current data (as explained by the doctors) – Facial Nerve tumors are the slowest growing among the AN tumors, and I hope it never re-grows.
2)  Even if it does re-grow, say in 15-20 years, the best approach for such (facial nerve tumor) re-growth may be radiation treatment.  My hope is that by then the Imaging and radiation treatment techniques get advanced enough to avoid the facial nerve entirely with targeted radiation down to the molecular level….?

My experience has shown me that there is no perfect way to handle these rare and complex tumor situations and we have to take a step at a time and make the best call we can at that time.  I guess I ended up with the most we could do finally.  I wish I did not have the rarest of these cases, but in life you play the cards you are dealt and make the best out of it.  I will be happy if my experience helps others in their journey.
Right AN diagnosed 2.1 cm. (4/1/11)
Surgery + BAHA-Ponto 8/10/11. 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Found to be Facial (7th) Nerve Tumor 
Translab - removed over 2/3rd of tumor avoided facial nerve damage.
SSD, hoping for the best

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: My AN Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:00:49 am »
jphua ......

Sooooo glad you went to HEI with your unusual situation.  Very unusual, to say the least.  Glad you are doing so well now.

Drs. Friedman and Schwartz are the best and your experiences at the Clinic, St. Vincent's, and Seton Hall are almost identical to mine three months ago.

I have done extremely well and so happy with my Ponto processor ...... and I know you will do equally well!

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

LisaM

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »
Wow!  Glad to see you are already up and about and posting all the details!  Clearly you are healing nicely!  Keep us posted!
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

schmidtkat

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 04:35:59 am »
jphua,

You are such an inspiration! Thank you for articulating these details so clearly. My surgery is coming up Sept. 2 at the HEI. The way you wrote about your experience made me feel like I walked a part of it with you.

As I read your post, one of the many things that caught my attention was that your 11 year old son was in the waiting room with your husband. My 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter will be with my husband in the waiting room. Any advice regarding the children being a part of this experience? How to prepare them? What should they expect? Did you let him see you in ICU?

Congratulations on such a successful outcome. I wish you all the best for continued healing. May God's Odyssey result in his healing grace upon you!

Kathy

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:30:40 am »
Gosh. Very interesting reading.

After reading several articles about AN's, I've come to the impression that the facial nerve is a lot tougher than the hearing nerve. That's one of the reasons why preserved hearing is more difficult to achieve that good facial outcome.

I'm glad to hear that your surgery and outcome went well, all things considered.

best regards, Kenneth

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:25:34 am »
Hi jphua,

So glad to hear that things went well for you. Yes, the doctors at House are very good, as you can see by my signature, I went there also. But as you said, they don't say "we know everything". They never know for sure what they are getting into until they are actually performing the surgery. I have the highest regards for the doctors there and if I had to do it all over again, I would go right back there. Your post says it all and should be very helpful to anyone considering to go there. Thank you for your thoughts! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

jphua

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:16:28 am »
jphua,

You are such an inspiration! Thank you for articulating these details so clearly. My surgery is coming up Sept. 2 at the HEI. The way you wrote about your experience made me feel like I walked a part of it with you.

As I read your post, one of the many things that caught my attention was that your 11 year old son was in the waiting room with your husband. My 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter will be with my husband in the waiting room. Any advice regarding the children being a part of this experience? How to prepare them? What should they expect? Did you let him see you in ICU?

Congratulations on such a successful outcome. I wish you all the best for continued healing. May God's Odyssey result in his healing grace upon you!

Kathy

Kathy,
Thanks for the wishes.  As for my kids (11, 14 year old boys) - we involved them through my entire journey and being the current generation they are quite savvy in web-researching it themselves along with us.  It so happened my 14 year old had high school (freshman) starting the week after my surgery, so could not travel with us.  The younger one is a bit more attached to me and he was very much a solace to me throughout my surgery and recovery.  He was quite the trooper helping me out throughout.  Yes, I did get him to visit me during the 24 hour ICU stay also. 

I was able to go out and eat at a restaurant on the 5th day after surgery (I was motivated to have my kid see more than the hospital!).  I did fine and ate out the rest of the 4 days in LA (decent restaurants around if you drive - we "Yelped" by distance, all within 2 miles).

I wish you the very best for your upcoming surgery and may God's grace be with you at all times!
Best regards
Josephine
SSD, hoping for the best

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »
Hi, Josephine ~

Please accept my belated welcome.  As is now obvious, the compelling account of your AN experience you've offered is much appreciated.  I'm delighted to learn of another AN surgery patient enjoying a good outcome and solid recovery.  We're glad you discovered the ANA website discussion forums and choose to contribute. Your positive, helpful attitude is much valued here.  Please continue to update us on your recovery.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jphua

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 01:38:28 am »
I have posted my recovery update in the post treatment forum linked here - http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=15899.0
SSD, hoping for the best