Author Topic: Are other tumors related to Acoustic neuroma? Syndroms?  (Read 2273 times)

LaMar

Are other tumors related to Acoustic neuroma? Syndroms?
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:03:39 pm »
Hi, my name is LaMar.    I am a 30 y/o female  and I am in the military.    I was diagnosed with  an acoustic neuroma in Aug 2005.  It was 3.5 cm.   I had it removed in Dec 2005 and it was 4.4 cm.   My hearing nerve and equilibrium nerve were taken with it.   I had some damage to my facial nerve as well.  Recovery went well.    I had to get tear duct implants and I had bells palsy for about six months.   I had slight tumor regrowth in 2007 after the birth of my child but nothing significant.   

In 2012 I deployed with the military to Kuwait.   In July of that year I was medevac for a migraine that lasted 25 days.    I was treated with an optic nerve block, Botox, and about twenty medications and then returned to finish my tour.   After coming home I started gaining weight, chronic fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails, edema, irregular menstrual cycle.     I was diagnosed in June 2013 with a pituitary tumor and I had a tumor on the right side of my thyroid and one on my left side.   In Nov 2013 I had the left side of my thyroid removed.    This month I was diagnosed with a second tumor on my righty side of my thyroid (one on inferior and one on superior - both about 1/2 cm.).  I also found out that I have a 3.7 cm tumor on my right ovary.   My bladder was decompressed on the ct ( waiting on results).   

Since I'm military I have a primary care on base and then I have specialty care referrals.  I'm seeing about ten doctors.   Everyone is treating each issue separately.    Anyone having combined and/or related tumors to the acoustic neuroma?    I'm thinking all of this has to be related some how.   I exercise regularly, good diet ...   Docs are just saying I'm unlucky.   

Any help or avenues to research would be great.   

LaMar 
LaMar Resch
US Army
3.5cm tumor in right side
Removed 5 Dec 2005 @ MUSC by
Dr. Lambert

Hokiegal

Re: Are other tumors related to Acoustic neuroma? Syndroms?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »
Hi LaMar, first, congratulations on your successful AN surgery, and thank you for your service to our country.  Second, regarding your subsequent tumors -- have you looked into the possibility of NF2?  It's a condition that's characterized by multiple benign tumors of the nervous system, including AN's.  Your ovarian tumor doesn't seem to fit, but it might be something to look into.  There should be several posts on this site about it.  All the best to you,

Mary
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:37:20 pm »
Any chance that you were exposed to chemical or biological weaponry during your tour?
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

LaMar

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:09:27 am »
Mary.

They are looking at MEN but they think I don't meet all the criteria for it because my adrenal system was not affected.    I agree that the ovarian tumor is probably not related other than with pituitary and thyroid tumors you see a fluctuation in hormones especially estrogen and progesterone.    I'm thinking the ovarian tumor is a result of that, not a result of the overall cause.    L
I will research more on NF2 but they originally ruled it out since it was a heredity issue and I don't have any family medical history of brain tumors or nervous system disorders. 

As far as weaponry goes, Kuwait was very quiet.  We didn't have anything of that nature while I was there.   They had the sit-ins and rallies at the embassies but that's it.   There is some question of exposure to past use in the area and they have signs up near sites that were heavily attacked but I don't think exposure would have been great enough.   Possible I guess.  My AN was prior to the deployment though.  (Of course they are really great about coming back in fifty years and telling us we were exposed to something they deemed safe at the time.  :) )

LaMar Resch
US Army
3.5cm tumor in right side
Removed 5 Dec 2005 @ MUSC by
Dr. Lambert