Author Topic: surgery vs. gamma knife  (Read 2255 times)

marjoryb

surgery vs. gamma knife
« on: June 16, 2006, 04:42:09 pm »
I have an acoustic neuroma that is 2 cm.   I am scheduled for surgery on 7/7 but am now second guessing myself - is surgery the right decision or should I seek treatment through radiation?   The idea of surgery scares me and , from what I've read, carries many risks.   I understand the gamma knife or cyberknife options are also not risk free.    I have not lost any hearing nor do I have any facial paralysis.  I have been experiencing some dizziness lately - I have the feeling I'm walking on marbles; sorta floating.    I know that there are pros and cons to the surgery vs. radiation, but how can I make the decision?   If I wait, symptoms may arise that may be irreversible.   The surgeons I have met recommend surgery, of course.   The radiosurgeons recommend radiation.    Where do I go from here?     Marjory B

nannettesea

Re: surgery vs. gamma knife
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:12:27 pm »
Two points of view: once you have dizziness, radiation might not be such a good option.

Other point of view.  I had dizziness and it is much WORSE post-op, but I am rare.

I would have given much more consideration to radiation if I had seen a neurologist (and not two surgeons).

My two cents.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Obita

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:03:05 pm »
Hi marjoryb:

I think it is second opinion time for you.  You owe it to yourself.  You must be comfortable with your decision and trust your doctors.  I had a little pre-surgery anxiety but I never second guessed myself.  That was a great feeling and I wish that for you.

Kathy O'Brien

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

marjoryb

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:40:07 pm »
I had a second opinion today from a doctor who , for 23 years,  performed surgery and who is now an advocate of the radial surgery.  I'm meeting next week with the neurosurgeon that he partners with and who now does - almost exclusively - the radiation treatment.   

I left today's meeting thoroughly confused.   It seems there is no treatment that is tried and true - each patient's outcome is unique.    There is no way I can sit and make a list of pros and cons for the different treatment options and come up with a winner.    The visit to today's doctor was frustrating because he contradicted the information I had previously received from the surgeon (re: preservation of hearing and the facial nerve).   This doctor was competitive- actually refuting the surgeons info as lies!   That leaves me in the middle and confused.   
Marjoryb

nipanddale

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:23:06 pm »
Hi Marjory,

Have you sent a copy of your MRI to House? They will review it for free and provide a telephone consultation for you. They are suppose to be the best in the business and should be able to tell you the best approach. If they concur with your physicans then you can move forward feeling like you did your homework, otherwise you might continue to second guess.

Just go to the House Ear Clinic website and it gives you instructions for sending in the MRI. They responded to me within 24 hours of receipt (sooner actually).

Good luck,

nip
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

marjoryb

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 09:37:02 pm »
Yes - I started with The House Clinic.  I sent my first MRI to Dr. Brackmann and he advised me to wait for symptoms to appear. I found that perplexing - aren't the appearance of symptoms an indication of deterioration of the nerves that the AN is gripping? And, once symptoms appear, isn't the restoration of function less likely?  Sooo ... I have had Dr. Brackmann's opinion, the opinion of surgeons at Johns Hopkins and now the third opinion from the doctor that works in partnership with the radiosurgeon who I see next week.  I was convinced I needed surgery until today's visit.  The doctor's comments today made me lose all control of the situation.

MarjoryB