Author Topic: Nervous about MRI  (Read 2448 times)

lifeisgood

Nervous about MRI
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »
I haven't posted for awhile. It's been 6 years since my AN surgery. I've had 4 scans and all have been clean. I had a rather freaky occurance about a month ago. I awoke and it sounded like a cat was purring in my ear. I have no hearing in my right and it appeared to be coming from my left.
I got up, went downstairs and turned on the tv. The decibal level sounded find but intermittantly, the purring continued.

It was a one time thing.  The past week, I have felt like I occasionally get vertigo.  So, I called Dr. Wiet to get a script for another scan.
I am scared.
There, I said it.

I used to say that my biggest fear was getting a brain tumor. Now, my biggest fear is losing my hearing in my other ear as a result of a brain tumor.
My son has autism and cannot speak. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be totally deaf.

So I am going in on Monday. The last scan was a year ago. Fine.
I am paranoid because I went on the pill for about 6 months after the scan and hormones freak me out especially with regrowth.
I had a child and didn't have any problems but just another thing to stress about

Could be stress. Thank you for lettin me vent. 
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Nervous about MRI
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:34:03 am »
And you've certainly come to the right place to vent!!  I know you know the drill on all this, so I'll just say I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that everyone comes out ok!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:29:35 am »
Hi there lifeisgood:  glad to hear from you, but sorry about what you're going through.   Every now & then I get tinnitus in my 'good' ear also,  but I haven't had the vertigo with it.  Will be thinking of you Monday.  Let's keep positive thoughts going.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

moe

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:52:24 am »
Glad you posted. It's always nice to come back, isn't it,- though under these circumstances.

I'd say deep breath(s), hopefully it is nothing. Sounds like tinnitus, which kind of freaks me out because I have it in both ears. As far as the vertigo, could be related to lots of things.
Tis the season of high stress, and for some (me), less than desirable dietary habits (plus add lack of sleep, which is NOT me, because I NEED my sleep ;D ) Keep yourself hydrated... and try to enjoy the holiday anyway!

Anyway positive thoughts like Nancy said!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lifeisgood

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:22:23 am »
Wonderful to wake up to such great positive greetings.
:)
I did start working again as a massage therapist and yes I am stressed out.
Maybe that is part of it.

Will post after the MRI.
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

Mark241

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:37:21 am »
Hello Mary, I too am in the the pre-MRI nervous stage, and I know were not alone in it. I just try to stay as busy as I can, and when I find myself dwelling on those thoughts, I start reading. I'm sorry your scared, my family and I will pray for a clear scan for you. 
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:57 am »
One of the most insidious things about having a medical situation involving your brain is that the effects aren't localized. If you break your arm, you can be pretty sure any new pain in your knee isn't being caused by your arm. You really don't have those assurances with brain connected injuries. Every new twinge, tingle, buzz, or balance blip brings back that cow-kicked-me-in-the-stomach feeling you first experienced when you got the "you have a brain tumor" phone call.

Unfortunately, beyond assurances of keeping you in our thoughts and prayers there is little that others can do to help you during these times. Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Here's to a clear MRI....huzzah!
..thanks for being.. migoi
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »
Hi, Mary ~

I'm sorry you have to deal with these troubling symptoms that are making you so anxious - but that anxiety is understandable.   Find solace in the knowledge that you're in the thoughts and prayers of many people, including me.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.