Author Topic: Has anyone had this?  (Read 3752 times)

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
Has anyone had this?
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:37 am »
Since my AN diagnosis in summer, I've noticed that I will sometimes use the wrong word when typing or invert letters or leave out words.  I always catch the mistakes when I reread what I've written, but this has never happened to me EVER.  I used to teach high school English, freelance editor, etc.  Wondering if it's because of the thing in my head, advancing senility (I'm 60--mentally I feel 30; physically, 80), or just the end result of being overprogrammed, which I definitely am--juggling way too many balls.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Has anyone had this?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
cakulmom ~

Some degree of cognitive dysfunction is not uncommon in AN post-op patients but should not be an issue prior to undergoing surgery.  I suspect your admittedly overloaded schedule (stress) is a major factor in your cognitive deficits, as well as your age (I can state that because I'm older than you).  :)  Consider slowing down a bit, if possible, because post-op, you'll have to - so you may as well start re-adjusting your schedule, now.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:39:13 pm »
I've had this issue ever since my surgery.  I often can't think of the right word to say or say one word when I'm thinking of another.

For example, if I'm looking at a chair and want to tell me daughter to hand me a fork, I'll say "can you hand me that chair?".

It's kind of like the connection between my mind and my mouth isn't working correctly.

I'm not sure if it's entirely related to my surgery or not.  Huge parts of my life are hectic and I often have lots of things on my mind, so that may be part of it.  And, let's not forget I'm not getting any younger  ::)  ;D

I also have to preview all my responses on the Forum before I hit "post" because nowadays I think the word "goes" but my fingers type the word "does" and I often leave words out of what I'm typing.  My fingers that used to work just as fast as my brain sometimes miss words now.

Again, is it that related to the AN surgery?  Truthfully, I'm not sure.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:13:53 pm »
There was a thread about this quite some time ago ..... did not take time to research it.

I, as well, have noticed this phenomenon post-op, not pre-op.  I will come right up to a familiar, frequently used word and it just is not there for several seconds, then it sort of "pops in."  Very frustrating in a social setting.  However, some of my peers in my age group are experiencing similar things ..... so, who knows for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:39:50 pm »
Hi Cakulmum
I had exactly the same problem as you prior to treatment.
I found it very difficult to type, for a few weeks it was near impossible.
My fingers were pressing wrong keys all the time, and I was typing jibberish.
Concentration was horrible.
I employ 35 people and while addressing staff I would just go blank, not just lose my last thought, it was like losing the last 10 thoughts and the next 5 points of discussion as well.

It was during that time my balance problems became noticeable and became much worse as well as hearing loss and tinnitus.

Worth having a look at this link.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=13565.0

FLSunshine, and myself have experienced similar problems prior to AN treatment. Seems to be a Vestibular thing caused by the AN damaging the vestibular nerve or lack of blood to the vestibular organ caused by the AN restricting blood supply in the Internal Auditory Canal

From the Vestibular Disorders website

*  Decreased ability to track multiple processes: Rapid shifts of attention, such as those required when driving a car, are more difficult.
*  Difficulty handling sequences: Words and syllables get mixed up, letters and numbers are transposed, and conversations and stories are harder to follow.
*  Decreased mental stamina:  Prolonged concentration becomes more difficult or impossible. People accustomed to spending uninterrupted hours on a task at work or at home suddenly find that they need frequent breaks.
*  Difficulty reading: Text in printed matter or on a computer monitor often appears to bounce or blur.
*  Difficulty with memory: One of the most common and troubling dysfunctions is the struggle to take in new information, store it into long-term memory, and retrieve it later.
*  Difficulty with large concepts and uncertainty: Integrating small details into a larger picture is more challenging, and people often feel a frustrating lack of closure. All the pieces are there, but can’t be put together.

I am happy to report the problem is now greatly improved, and I can type again, so hopefully the situation is only temporary.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:42:55 pm by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:36:42 am »
Hi Calkulmom,
I also had a hard time with typing, and getting the right words said, prior to my surgery.  I had to watch my fingers type, and the letters still got typed in the wrong order.  When put on the spot to come up with a name or word, I was tongue-tied.
I have always been right handed, but for about the past 13 months, some things are now easier with my left hand, like texting. 
My surgery was last November, and I am now getting a little faster at typing again, I was never very good at it anyway.

I thought it was just the wiring in my brain getting crossed, making some fingers faster than others when I typed.

I coped before surgery by staying busy with work and the kids's activities, and not focusing on it too much.  Now at 11 months post-op, I feel mostly normal.

Kathy
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:19:53 am »

as a programmer , I'm at the keyboard all the time! .. and had a great deal of trouble..   I basicly re-learned to type.. and still use the wrong word at times..   I double check and check everything again ... and was even misspelling my name !!!   ( I had a stoke which did not help! )

now at 5+ years post op... its much better.. but still not perfect.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Shan1014

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:42:01 am »
Hello,
So sorry you are having these problems.  I have a few of the issues you are dealing with.  Prior to surgery I didn't really notice anything but for about 5 months after I did.  I just completed Radiation about 3 weeks ago and have some tumor swelling now and am experiencing it again.

I am a teacher also and just started back to school last week.  When a student hands me something, sometimes it takes me awhile to decipher the symbol (work or numbers) or I see something else.  Not a ton of this but once in awhile a word will catch me.  Also, last week I kept dropping the second letter of a word when I would say it verbally.  I would correct myself right away but it was weird.  I also have found myself inverting 3's.  So that they look like E's.

I have some double vision and that causes me to make mistakes with spelling on the computer alot.

Just some odd small things, but I really do believe there are some cognitives issues that these things create.  I also believe that it will go away once I get through a few more months.  :)

Best wishes to you.  Hope all goes well for you,
Shannon
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:04:20 am »
I have never been able to type normally and am worse past my AN surgeries.     That is why have not tried to get a desk job.     I also can look at a sentence I wrote and see a word in it that have no idea why as wasn't even one I thought of.           I also have problems with not thinking of a right word.           Sometimes it comes to me and occ not for days later.           I was trying to tell my sister they need to keep their **** numbers off of bills and days later remembered account.             I am worse off since had the 4th and left sided surgery.      Less of an issue after the 3 rt sided.                      I have friends who try and tell me age too and they have some problem so who knows!                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

deheisel11

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:33 am »
Welcome to the 60's.  I had my surgery 5 months ago.  For several years prior, I started forgetting words and finding it hard to express myself well.  I thought everything was getting worse as I aged.  Typing has never been my forte.  After the surgery, sometimes it seems that I am still on the surgery meds.  Words are much harder to come by now and typing is worse. (That could be because of my droopy eyelid)  I find myself, at times, typing slowly with one finger.  Maybe we should become penpals.  That would be festive!  Good luck with everything.  One good thing for me is that I am retired now and do not have to write lengthy reports or tons of e-mails any more.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 11:45:36 am »
Thank you so much everyone!  This has really helped me a lot.  Thank God, I've had MRIs and know this is just an acoustic neuroma, not a malignant tumor such as my son has.  Otherwise, I'd be really worried about these annoyances.

Oh Jim, I wish I could slow down.  Not in the business I'm in, not in this economy, not as a caregiver for my son (though he doesn't need it right now); and frankly, I am a Type A personality and a workaholic.   But I'll try. At least my business slows down in December and we've never been frenetic holiday people, so I will just veg out with my knitting needles.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:29:04 pm »
Since my surgery, I have alot of trouble with names. I will stare at co-workers, who I see every day, because I can't remember their names.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 01:15:12 am »
When my tumor was found the doctor's were actually sur[prised I was functioning, cognitively, at the level I need to (I was working full time as RN) so this surprises me to hear that some think it doesn't effect one preoperative in that area. I certainly know the psychological effects of going through this all will affect you in this area and I don't doubt if it's situated in the right spot, or big enough, that it could effect you physically in this area as well
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

lamplight

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 04:03:46 am »
Hi
I found this to be a problem pre-op but haven't noticed it since. This partly makes me wonder if it was stress related and because once diagnosed I was consciously thinking 'omygod I'm walking around with a 4cm brain tumour' all the time. As well as spoonerising words (getting them back to front, eg saying 'par cark' instead of 'car park') and saying the wrong word, I noticed iproblems with handwriting, not typing. Found I would often miss letters and my writing was a lot messier.

Before I was diagnosed I hadn't though I was displaying many symptoms, however afterwards I did think back to a few things and realise they probably did add up to something not quite right - intermittent and vague nausea, veering about a bit when walking at night etc. Other symptoms like the head pressure and words/writing issue I only noticed after diagnosis so don't know how much of that is psycho-somatic or stress related...