Author Topic: Another surgery post AN surgery  (Read 2425 times)

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
Another surgery post AN surgery
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »
I am scheduled for my AN surgery Nov. 30, retrosigmoid, 2 cm tumor left side, some hearing loss, some balance issues.  Recently, I was diagnosed with a severe enough hip problem that a total hip replacement is recommended.  I am self-employed, vending trade shows around the country and really don't have a lot of time to recover from these surgeries.  I am taking 6 weeks for the AN surgery, then would like to have the hip surgery end of January if neurosurgeon and otolaryngologist think it's ok.  That would give me 7+ weeks to recover from that.  I'm 60 years old and really in pretty good health other than these 2 annoying problems.

Am I being unrealistic about scheduling another major surgery so soon?  Has anyone else had hip replacement too?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:14:29 pm by cakulmom »
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Another surgery post AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:13:06 am »
Glad to hear your AN surgery is scheduled; sorry to hear about the hip replacement.

I've had AN surgery (retrosigmoid) and the recovery wasn't as horrendous as I thought it might be.  A lot depends on the side-effects you encounter post op. 

Don't get me wrong, it was major surgery and at times recovery was very challenging, but all in all I have to say that the first days were definitely the worst.  My doc said it would take about 6 weeks for recovery, and while the fatigue lasted way beyond that, most of the "big" issues (like balance) were cleared up before then.  Not that everything was perfect within 6 weeks, but I was definitely functional and well into getting back into my normal routine (back to work, back to driving, etc).    I know that recovery is different for everyone - this is just my experience.

As for the hip replacement, I haven't done that yet.  But a few of my family members have - hip problems run in my family as we age.  My grandmother had both her hips replace when she was in her 90's and my dad (who will be 81 next month) has had 3 hip replacements.  Yes, I know, he only has 2 hips - but one was replaced about 15 years ago and last year it had to be replaced again.

Recovery from hip surgery - at least in my dad's case - takes some time but with physical therapy things move fairly quickly.  The docs are also very quick to get patients back up on their feet (with a walker) a day or two post op. 

60 is certainly not old and being in good health should only help you.  Obviously your docs will have the final decision, but I don't think you'll have a problem having the hip replacement in January.

Please keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:15:27 am »
cakulmom ....

It sounds like you have your plate full, and then some!  Two major surgeries back to back will certainly be a challenge.  You sound like a very active 60 year old so I do not think your age is necessarily a factor.  However, the inevitable balance issues following AN surgery will be a factor.  Some AN patients have little problems with balance because their brains have already begun the process of  compensating for the missing (malfunctioning during pre-surgery in some cases) vestibular nerve.  Others have had very little balance problems before surgery and suddenly find they have to relearn how to walk with only one vestibular nerve.  I am not trying to scare you, but you probably will not know in which category you are before your AN surgery.

I presume you have talked with both your neurosurgeon and your orthopedic surgeon regarding these two surgeries.  You may need to be flexible about the time frame.  Some people recover very quickly from AN surgery, some take much longer.  There seems to be no predictable reason for the difference ..... age, general health seem unrelated.

Best thoughts and many prayers.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:35:44 am »
Thank you for your input.  I guess you've just reinforced what I already thought.  I have balance issues now, some days worse than others so I imagine I am already compensating. Or I'm just too darned stubborn to let any of this put me down.  Now I have to search for the right hip doctor who will do the right surgery...as bad as finding the right AN team/approach.   
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:17:20 am »
You will know how you are doing and if still having some issues then the hip can be put off a bit.     I have had more than one AN surgery due to NF2 and was back to work as a nurse twice in 2 mos and had retired the next time.      You won't be allowed to much bending for a while with both surgeries.       I was help to a 76 yr old lady who had her total hip done in May and was back going big time by end of summer as lives alone in the country with no family and she did super.          Terrible pain before and very little post op.          Mowing her own huge yard by in July.                       You will have some problem with being tired after both surgeries.      Good luck with both surgeries.                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care